Saturday, June 11, 2005
Slumber parties & Classic Chick Flicks (that cultured, cool guys like too!)
Pocahontas and I had a great time spending the night at a friend's house last Wednesday...her hubby and 15yos were on a Boy Scouts trip to the Bahamas for the week, so she'd invited us over for a slumber party. And did we ever party!!! :) We helped A remodel her bedroom, she's 11 now, so she wanted to *update* it to "hip-hop/ spunky/ cool" instead of "little girlish"
...yes, let's all of us Moms have a moment of silence together, as we ponder the lovely paradox of emotions we experience at seeing our babies growing into Godly young men and women...*sniffling here*...*smiles*
Anyways, we had home-made manicotti for dinner, baked cookies, painted, danced, listened to some of A's practicing her speaking parts for a local pageant she's competing in. Pocahontas and I provided the Anne of Greene Gables movies sets (these gals had never seen them, and of course loved them! We laughed hysterically at Anne's antics, serious drama-queen that she is!!) But the 11yo had read all the books, and agreed with me that the actors and actesses were all perfectly chosen for their parts. So we ended up leaving the movies so they could watch the rest on their own... we played spoons, talked girl talk, played with flashlights on the ceiling, read mags. by flashlight, made shadow figures, and Tabitha and Amanda performed/made the whole alphabet, by way of their bodies making shadows on the wall...just plain FUN!;)
And it's high time for a couple other classics as well, (need to watch Jane Eyre again soon...it's been a couple years since I last watched that one with my sis) and I am looking forward to watching A&E's rendition of Austen's Pride &Prejudice soon w/a friend and her 2 daughters who are home from college for the summer. Austen is one of their fav. authors, they've read the book, seen the other movies, Emma and Sense and Sensibility, but not P&P! Chris and I had a blast watching this movie (the Grand Daddy of all soap operas...and in case you're wondering, NO, I can't stomach the goofy tv ones!) together...he's so cool! So, I'm excited to veg out and have some more girl time soon, and initiate them (both of these lovely young ladies were homeschooled all the way through by their lovely Mama, and they're all 3 a JOY and encouragement to be around)!
I was over at their house awhile back - this friend is also our children's horse riding instructor- and they're all raving over that STUPID movie Napoleon Dynamite (which Chris thinks is absolutley hilarious)... Okay, I laughed at a couple of the absurdities myself *blushing*(N.D.'s dance debut was a riot!!)...but it's one of those that you're thinking to yourself...okay, why am I watching this? I did NOT just watch that all the way through! Yes, I've come clean w/you all now, bared my soul, I did watch it, I did! But I was merely submitting to Chris! jk, I could have just walked away...;) LOL! And so you can see, I'm on a mission, I've got to get these girls back on track here! Btw, my 21yo brother Daniel does an impersonation of Napoleon D. that is a riot!...okay, *ahem* nevermind, sorry...LOL!
But, I was surprised at Durer's response over the couple of days after he'd learned of our plans of leaving him and Dad, for our "girls' night" out. He was none too happy! He said, "Uh....Mom, I thought that girls night thing is only supposed to be once a month" (referring to the monthly scrapbooking crop club Taba and I attend together). And, "I wish it was just the whole family going there, why does it have to be just the girls?!"..and "I don't want to go to VBS with out Pocahontas..."...and "WHY can't I come?", and "Pocahontas, are you sure you want to miss a night of VBS?...you'll not learn tonight's song for the show Fri. night?!" *saying it all ominously*...and then the kicker..."Tabitha, do you think it's right for you to go to A's house, instead of worshiping God at VBS?" Well, I obviously had to call him out for that one, admonishing him for being manipulative to get his own way, and he, knowing it even as he said it I think, quickly repented to his sister...*smiles*...fun all the time! As I told Chris, I think the boy just had a serious case of AIMOOSS ...ie; the Afraid I Might Miss Out On Something Syndrome!;)
Well, obviously he got over it, and had a fun-filled night in spite of himself I think, of VBS, and then staying up late with Dad, watching those hunting videos that we girls dread and are bored to tears by! LOL! And it was really good for us too. I saw a real *girly* side of Pocahontas that I don't get to see that often, with her/us being around her brother most of the time...interesting and nourishing it was, for everyone I think.
...yes, let's all of us Moms have a moment of silence together, as we ponder the lovely paradox of emotions we experience at seeing our babies growing into Godly young men and women...*sniffling here*...*smiles*
Anyways, we had home-made manicotti for dinner, baked cookies, painted, danced, listened to some of A's practicing her speaking parts for a local pageant she's competing in. Pocahontas and I provided the Anne of Greene Gables movies sets (these gals had never seen them, and of course loved them! We laughed hysterically at Anne's antics, serious drama-queen that she is!!) But the 11yo had read all the books, and agreed with me that the actors and actesses were all perfectly chosen for their parts. So we ended up leaving the movies so they could watch the rest on their own... we played spoons, talked girl talk, played with flashlights on the ceiling, read mags. by flashlight, made shadow figures, and Tabitha and Amanda performed/made the whole alphabet, by way of their bodies making shadows on the wall...just plain FUN!;)
And it's high time for a couple other classics as well, (need to watch Jane Eyre again soon...it's been a couple years since I last watched that one with my sis) and I am looking forward to watching A&E's rendition of Austen's Pride &Prejudice soon w/a friend and her 2 daughters who are home from college for the summer. Austen is one of their fav. authors, they've read the book, seen the other movies, Emma and Sense and Sensibility, but not P&P! Chris and I had a blast watching this movie (the Grand Daddy of all soap operas...and in case you're wondering, NO, I can't stomach the goofy tv ones!) together...he's so cool! So, I'm excited to veg out and have some more girl time soon, and initiate them (both of these lovely young ladies were homeschooled all the way through by their lovely Mama, and they're all 3 a JOY and encouragement to be around)!
I was over at their house awhile back - this friend is also our children's horse riding instructor- and they're all raving over that STUPID movie Napoleon Dynamite (which Chris thinks is absolutley hilarious)... Okay, I laughed at a couple of the absurdities myself *blushing*(N.D.'s dance debut was a riot!!)...but it's one of those that you're thinking to yourself...okay, why am I watching this? I did NOT just watch that all the way through! Yes, I've come clean w/you all now, bared my soul, I did watch it, I did! But I was merely submitting to Chris! jk, I could have just walked away...;) LOL! And so you can see, I'm on a mission, I've got to get these girls back on track here! Btw, my 21yo brother Daniel does an impersonation of Napoleon D. that is a riot!...okay, *ahem* nevermind, sorry...LOL!
But, I was surprised at Durer's response over the couple of days after he'd learned of our plans of leaving him and Dad, for our "girls' night" out. He was none too happy! He said, "Uh....Mom, I thought that girls night thing is only supposed to be once a month" (referring to the monthly scrapbooking crop club Taba and I attend together). And, "I wish it was just the whole family going there, why does it have to be just the girls?!"..and "I don't want to go to VBS with out Pocahontas..."...and "WHY can't I come?", and "Pocahontas, are you sure you want to miss a night of VBS?...you'll not learn tonight's song for the show Fri. night?!" *saying it all ominously*...and then the kicker..."Tabitha, do you think it's right for you to go to A's house, instead of worshiping God at VBS?" Well, I obviously had to call him out for that one, admonishing him for being manipulative to get his own way, and he, knowing it even as he said it I think, quickly repented to his sister...*smiles*...fun all the time! As I told Chris, I think the boy just had a serious case of AIMOOSS ...ie; the Afraid I Might Miss Out On Something Syndrome!;)
Well, obviously he got over it, and had a fun-filled night in spite of himself I think, of VBS, and then staying up late with Dad, watching those hunting videos that we girls dread and are bored to tears by! LOL! And it was really good for us too. I saw a real *girly* side of Pocahontas that I don't get to see that often, with her/us being around her brother most of the time...interesting and nourishing it was, for everyone I think.
|
|















