Saturday, September 24, 2005

So much to tell!!

Quick recap, more detail soon! We've been reading from the first of our Ambleside Year 1 and Y2 readings for the year, and started the Chronicles of Narnia series (I told N he has to read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe before he can see the movie) as well. We've been having fun playing a simple War game we'd picked up last year from Walmart. Each card is different number sentences, and whoever has the largest sum wins, and of course, a tie means war. The kids and I are having a blast together...and they're figuring and memorizing their math facts without even *trying*.:-) Dominoes is fun too, and Math-It. Yep, we're definitely incoorperating alot of games this year...

In general, things are good over here... We're continuing to pray and trust that the Lord will provide enough work for Chris between the job he has now (installing security systems), and his contracting business he's starting up on the side. Hoping it will prove to be fruitful and supply a regular income for us. I know it just takes time.

We really enjoyed our "home-group" this week, which meets every other Thurs. evening, and from which we've gained some really good friends. We always have such interesting discussions, and everyone just pretty much lets their hair down. It was nice. We've just started listening to and discussing a marriage series by Michael and Amy Smalley, called Embrace; Seven Powerful Discoveries to Strengthen Any Marriage"... So far, it's really good. I hope to share more on it soon. And of course, the kids always have a blast there, with all of their friends. As it's turned out, most of the families who attend this particular home group we were invited to join, are fellow homeschoolers which we share other activities with as well. It's been a good group, and we've really gotten alot more out of it than at "church" even...You know, the relationships, that's the church. And it gets pretty intimate at times... with everyone really opening up to eachother and being vulnerable enough to share their lives, struggles, and hopes.

We've gotten alot done around here the past few days, starting to really find a rhythm/routine that's working for us each day very nicely. I'm going to try and expound a bit on this soon. The kids and I have really enjoyed ourselves. They're both very proud of the progress they're making with learning cursive each day. And Taba, she's a mess!! It's all I can do to keep up with that girl! Amazing just how different she and Nathan are..*smiles* A few days ago, after doing all of her copywork she decides that she wants to write a letter to her horse riding teacher (which I just posted - below), and so she DID! I barely helped her, and yesterday after her required reading aloud to me was done, she wanted to "read more", and so I started her in another more difficult book.

And Nathan, who last year dreaded his writing, has this year really taken to it. He's really capable of just *doing* alot more. Along with his cursive writing practice, he is also enjoying a book that I got for him (Writing Strands 3), which we're alternating with his copywork (which he's been doing for years) and LLATL (which we haven't started yet). It is written to the student, and so he's working through it mostly independently so far, and I think he likes that...says he does, he says the guy is really funny, and he is.

Yesterday we read Grimm's Rumpelstiltzkin aloud, and it was a riot to hear Nathan tell it back to me... Then, this morning, we met up with some friends and went to see the play of it put on at a local theatre. It was fantastic, and the kids were in stitches the whole time! It's been a full week. Nathan says he likes his tap class more than soccer! LOL! Go figure, his dance teacher says that's the best compliment she's ever had, esp. coming from a boy I suppose. Taba's liking tap as well.:-) And their riding lessons are, of course, still the highlight of their weeks!
Anyways, I'm just rambling on now, tired I guess. It is WAY too late, I mean early...*sheepish grin*

N went to bed so, so excited because tomorrow is his big AWANAS boys' bike ride. They're meeting at 7 a.m. sharp, and will spend the day on a trail, with packed lunches and all!

We have been so busy this last week, and have had a great time together. I've lots of catching up to do in the telling of it all... but for now, I shall let these pics. of recent high points suffice...

Here's our blessings, proudly holding their new rubber band guns that Dad recently helped them make! They were all the rage at our homegroup last Thursday evening...



Taba woodburning her design into her gun...



Dad & Nathan... before the woodburning finishing touches were added. Well done guys!!


*******************************************************************
One of Taba's MAIN love languages is gift-giving... She's *regularly*, very thoughtfully, putting together something special for someone...
Well, this last week, Chris and I were the lucky ones on her list... She called to us both to "Come here and see..." And what did we walk into? She had this all set up in the living room, just like so, and I immediately grabbed the camera. Those are REAL, fresh flowers she'd gone and gathered from our yard, especially for wrapping *my* present! ...Makes a Momma weep tears of joy, I tell ya!!



"Mom" ... "Dad"




"For you and Dad."

And the notes say, "I love you Dad. I hope you have a good day. Love, Tabitha"
and... "I love you Mom. I hope you have a good day too. Love, Tabitha"

And this was inside; she'd been busily weaving a new "shop rag" for Dad (which will stay cleanly on display- of course!! I have a collection of her lovely hot pads in my kitchen too!) And she'd made me this handy-dandy little wooden paper holder thingy. We are so blessed by this most precious little girl!



Yes, he's totally humoring me with my camera here, can you tell? LOL!
Comments:
What a blessing, Beth! I loved the note to Taba's riding instructor, too. You are doing a great job!
Love and shalom,
Serena
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?