Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Our current reads....

I always tend to read a little here, a little there in many books at once, that is just how I do it, I can't help it!;-)

Right now I'm working on;
You Can Teach Your Child Successfully by Ruth Beechick
The Underground History of American Education, by John Taylor Gatto, which you can access and read for free here; http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm
Drawing with Children by Mona Brooks
Our Father Abraham by Dr. Marvin Wilson, (w/study guide w/Chris-we've actually been *meaning* to start this for some time now...)
The Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands, by Dr. Laura Schlessinger
Yeshua; A guide to the real Jesus and the original church by Dr. Ron Mosley
The Miracle of the Scarlet Thread, by Richard Booker (2nd time)
Teaching Tips & Techniques, by Rebeccah Avery (author ofthe Weaver Unit Study curric., which we plan to start soon).
I recently finished; The Gospel according to Moses, by Dickson
This past summer I read; Follow theRiver, by Thom which was particularly interesting as it's local history for here where we just moved to. Here's a blogsite that a local historian has put together, about local history from this region. If you scroll down you'll see a brief retelling of the story of Mary Draper Ingles, under the heading "Our Amazing Ancestors". The great pioneer woman of this book, Mary.....her story, her legacy, has so changed, challenged and inspired me!
http://appfrontier.blogspot.com/
And right before that I read The Fisherman's Lady & The Baronet's Song, both by George MacDonald. These are so well written! Good fictional reads are dangerous for me though -ie;they take over if I'm not careful-, so I have to make them few and far between!LOL!
Chris and I recently watched the movie Pride & Prejudice, based on the novel by Jane Austen, so now I'm wanting to read that.....the movie was so good, I can imagine how great the book must be.

Chris's current reads;
Our Father Abraham, by Wilson (w/me-hopefully we'll start it soon;-)
Wild at Heart, by JohnEldredge -his fav. book, this is his 3rd time reading it in the last 2yrs! Frontier Living, by Tunis
The Secure Home, by Joel Skousen
Back toBasics-How to Learn & Enjoy Traditional American Skills, a Reader's Digestbook- and countless geo-political commentaries/articles

Nathanael has just recently discovered reading silently to himself for enjoyment- as I calmly act like it's the most natural thing inthe world...but really jumping up and down on the inside! LOL!
He still has assigned reading, which I select for him, which he reads to me each day. But aside from that, he's been engrossed w/The Picture Bible, an abridged version of Swiss Family Robinson, and a Pathway reader of late.

Tabitha is reading her Beginning Steps to Reading reader, and is so cute lately, *and serious*, as she carries around her Marguerite Henry"horse books", and quietly "reads them to herself", and her Horse Encyc.-which she just last night announced to me that she's finished -it's a tome-too funny! She's also checking out as many "Indian books" as I'll let her from the library. She's just fascinated with Indians! I can tell already she'll rival me with her reading lists;-).

Our current family read-alouds; The Bible w/Greenleaf Old Testament guide
The Illustrated Jewish Bible for Children, Hastings & Thomas
Little House in the Big Woods, Laura Ingalls Wilder
Thornton Burgess, and other nature books
Genesis; Finding our Roots, & Adam and His Kin, both by Ruth Beechick
How the Bible Came to Us, Doney
Discovering Jesus in Genesis, Edison
Dinosaurs by Design, Gish
Life in theGreat Ice Age, Oard (yes, we're studying Genesis-can you tell?;-)
& Sonlight Core K,1,&2 books (but not scheduled by any means!)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?