Wednesday, April 20, 2005
Painting, Planting, The Pilgrim's Progress, the Pontiff & Potok
Well, it's another leisurely morning, having some coffee and delicious Apple Danish bread. We splurge every now and then and get this from Sam's, it's Tab's fav. requested item when we're shopping there, and wouldn't be so bad if I didn't get the Biscotti as well!;) BTW, Sam's has some *great* kites for a mere $10 right now, in a variety of designs/colors! We got the flaming airplane w/gorgeous tails. I'm a bit tired this morning as I stayed up *way* too late last night painting the HUGE birdfeeder Chris made for me out of scrap wood that was used for decking up in the attic. It's very cute if I do say so myself...I'll post pics. soon as we get it put up out in the front yard.
I found this wonderful site for planning a butterfly garden. And then was referred by someone else to a great seed supplier which already has the right stuff put together for you! So I ordered some Butterfly & Hummingbird Garden seed to plant in our front beds, and found the neatest mix, it's a Tulip Topper Mix for Bulb Beds, which I'm thrilled to have found - as the dear lady who we bought our house from had planted daffodil beds all around the house which have been glorious this Spring, but were quite dull last Summer/Fall when we first saw the place. And I couldn't resist getting a pack of the Wildflower Seed Mixture for our region. Now to decide, where will I plant our little wildflower meadow? So, yes, I'd better get busy and spend some time outside preparing my beds before the seeds arrive. LOL!;) Thankfully Nathan and Tabitha do also love to use all our garden tools, and are learning/trying to be very helpful.
I'm not usually one for trying out new devotionals, or buying the "latest and greatest" devotionals/books on the Christian market. I've much preferred to reread my fav. devotional classics, along w/my Bible through out the years (My Utmost for His Highest by O. Chambers, They Joyful Heart by W. Nee & Streams in the Desert by Cowan have blessed me immensely many times over).... BUT, I actually ran across a devotional recently that literally called out my name! *smiles* It's The Pilgrim's Progress Devotional, A Daily Journey Through the Christian Life, by Cheryl V. Ford. I thought to try it out, since The Pilgrim's Progress is my all-time fav. Christian classic, and lately I've been wanting to read it again anyways. Well, the devotional is the classic book itself, broken down into 365 daily readings, w/a short commentary (which so far I'm really enjoying), a few applicable scriptures (rich parallels), and thoughtful prayer for each reading. It's *VERY* nice, and has been a rewarding indulgence for me. Nathanael and Tabitha have really enjoyed the beautifully illustrated, children's version of Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress, Dangerous Journey. It's been Nathan's fav. book for about two years now, and he refers to it often. I have been so blessed in listening to him, as he draws from its allegorical analogies often in relating spiritual truths and parallels as he observes them in his own life... and in the life of the Shepherd King, David, who is Nathan's fav. OT Bible character. It's *really* made an impression on him!;) I look forward to reading the unabridged version with him one day.
Well, I just noticed it's the headline at WND this morning, we've a new Pontiff (speaking generally here btw, *we* spec. are NOT Catholic). Does the Pope choice fulfills ancient prophecy? Check it out...it's very interesting! I'd just mentioned this prophecy a few posts back, as I'd read about it in another article, and now it's the talk of the town... ******excerpt; A prophecy by a 12th-century Catholic saint that predicted characteristics of the last 112 popes appears to have been strengthened by the election of the new pontiff today. The prophecy labels the new pope "the Glory of the Olive." The Benedictine Order known as the Olivetans has as its symbol the olive branch. The new pope, though not of that order, chose as his name Benedict XVI. ****** Be sure and check out the link to Hal Lindsey's article, and if you're interested in this, then see my prior post, below, "Sobering thoughts" for another article which discusses the Malachy "prophecy" a bit more extensively I think, and adds another angle as well. Anyways, its both ominous and joyful (for Christians) to consider the implications (as if we didn't already know) and significance of these happenings, esp. if this extra-Biblical "prophecy" is legitimate. How profound it is to see HIStory unfolding before our very eyes....we live in truly amazing times.
Now, this pilgrim must go get ready for the day! There's chillins' to learn, books to be read, and *never* ending work to be done! Nathan's been enjoying reading The Aesop for Children, illus. by M. Winter, aloud to me this week and Tabitha's reading her lovely little reader - over and over again- which has become a priceless relic in our house, as it was Nathan's first book to read aloud as well. I'm going to start reading Chaim Potok's The Chosen, as soon as I pick it up from the library... We saw the movie a couple of years ago, upon the recommendation of a friend. And it was soooo grippingly thought provoking, moving us to both tears and laughter within minutes of eachother. Tabitha was only 4yo at the time, and has just out of the blue asked me when we can watch it again....which is what has moved me to actually read the book, as I've planned to do since watching that amazing story via the movie.
Be not afraid of a work which has no end, (such as learning Torah).
~ Abbot de-Rabbi Nathan, 27,3
(or laundry!) ~ Beth Brewer, everyday! ;)
I found this wonderful site for planning a butterfly garden. And then was referred by someone else to a great seed supplier which already has the right stuff put together for you! So I ordered some Butterfly & Hummingbird Garden seed to plant in our front beds, and found the neatest mix, it's a Tulip Topper Mix for Bulb Beds, which I'm thrilled to have found - as the dear lady who we bought our house from had planted daffodil beds all around the house which have been glorious this Spring, but were quite dull last Summer/Fall when we first saw the place. And I couldn't resist getting a pack of the Wildflower Seed Mixture for our region. Now to decide, where will I plant our little wildflower meadow? So, yes, I'd better get busy and spend some time outside preparing my beds before the seeds arrive. LOL!;) Thankfully Nathan and Tabitha do also love to use all our garden tools, and are learning/trying to be very helpful.
I'm not usually one for trying out new devotionals, or buying the "latest and greatest" devotionals/books on the Christian market. I've much preferred to reread my fav. devotional classics, along w/my Bible through out the years (My Utmost for His Highest by O. Chambers, They Joyful Heart by W. Nee & Streams in the Desert by Cowan have blessed me immensely many times over).... BUT, I actually ran across a devotional recently that literally called out my name! *smiles* It's The Pilgrim's Progress Devotional, A Daily Journey Through the Christian Life, by Cheryl V. Ford. I thought to try it out, since The Pilgrim's Progress is my all-time fav. Christian classic, and lately I've been wanting to read it again anyways. Well, the devotional is the classic book itself, broken down into 365 daily readings, w/a short commentary (which so far I'm really enjoying), a few applicable scriptures (rich parallels), and thoughtful prayer for each reading. It's *VERY* nice, and has been a rewarding indulgence for me. Nathanael and Tabitha have really enjoyed the beautifully illustrated, children's version of Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress, Dangerous Journey. It's been Nathan's fav. book for about two years now, and he refers to it often. I have been so blessed in listening to him, as he draws from its allegorical analogies often in relating spiritual truths and parallels as he observes them in his own life... and in the life of the Shepherd King, David, who is Nathan's fav. OT Bible character. It's *really* made an impression on him!;) I look forward to reading the unabridged version with him one day.
Well, I just noticed it's the headline at WND this morning, we've a new Pontiff (speaking generally here btw, *we* spec. are NOT Catholic). Does the Pope choice fulfills ancient prophecy? Check it out...it's very interesting! I'd just mentioned this prophecy a few posts back, as I'd read about it in another article, and now it's the talk of the town... ******excerpt; A prophecy by a 12th-century Catholic saint that predicted characteristics of the last 112 popes appears to have been strengthened by the election of the new pontiff today. The prophecy labels the new pope "the Glory of the Olive." The Benedictine Order known as the Olivetans has as its symbol the olive branch. The new pope, though not of that order, chose as his name Benedict XVI. ****** Be sure and check out the link to Hal Lindsey's article, and if you're interested in this, then see my prior post, below, "Sobering thoughts" for another article which discusses the Malachy "prophecy" a bit more extensively I think, and adds another angle as well. Anyways, its both ominous and joyful (for Christians) to consider the implications (as if we didn't already know) and significance of these happenings, esp. if this extra-Biblical "prophecy" is legitimate. How profound it is to see HIStory unfolding before our very eyes....we live in truly amazing times.
Now, this pilgrim must go get ready for the day! There's chillins' to learn, books to be read, and *never* ending work to be done! Nathan's been enjoying reading The Aesop for Children, illus. by M. Winter, aloud to me this week and Tabitha's reading her lovely little reader - over and over again- which has become a priceless relic in our house, as it was Nathan's first book to read aloud as well. I'm going to start reading Chaim Potok's The Chosen, as soon as I pick it up from the library... We saw the movie a couple of years ago, upon the recommendation of a friend. And it was soooo grippingly thought provoking, moving us to both tears and laughter within minutes of eachother. Tabitha was only 4yo at the time, and has just out of the blue asked me when we can watch it again....which is what has moved me to actually read the book, as I've planned to do since watching that amazing story via the movie.
Be not afraid of a work which has no end, (such as learning Torah).
~ Abbot de-Rabbi Nathan, 27,3
(or laundry!) ~ Beth Brewer, everyday! ;)
|
|















