Friday, October 14, 2005
Longfellow's poetry
Today I enjoyed sitting quietly for a spell, with a big cup of Celestial Seasoning's Honey Ginger tea, and reading from my old hardback copy of Poetry of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Tales of a Wayside Inn
THE THEOLOGIAN'S TALE; ELIZABETH
Love it!
especially;
**************
But in meekness of spirit, and calmly, Elizabeth answered:
"All I have is the Lord's, not mine to give or withhold it;
I but distribute his gifts to the poor, and to those of his
people
Who in journeyings often surrender their lives to his service.
His, not mine, are the gifts, and only so far can I make them
Mine, as in giving I add my heart to whatever is given.
Therefore my excellent father first built this house in the
clearing;
Though he came not himself, I came; for the Lord was my guidance,
Leading me here for this service. We must not grudge, then, to
others
Ever the cup of cold water, or crumbs that fall from our table."
**************
and...
**************
Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing,
Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness;
So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another,
Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.
THE THEOLOGIAN'S TALE; ELIZABETH
Love it!
especially;
**************
But in meekness of spirit, and calmly, Elizabeth answered:
"All I have is the Lord's, not mine to give or withhold it;
I but distribute his gifts to the poor, and to those of his
people
Who in journeyings often surrender their lives to his service.
His, not mine, are the gifts, and only so far can I make them
Mine, as in giving I add my heart to whatever is given.
Therefore my excellent father first built this house in the
clearing;
Though he came not himself, I came; for the Lord was my guidance,
Leading me here for this service. We must not grudge, then, to
others
Ever the cup of cold water, or crumbs that fall from our table."
**************
and...
**************
Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing,
Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness;
So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another,
Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.
|
|















