Friday, October 14, 2005

Nathan's Recent Reads

Nathan's most favorite independent read of ALL TIME for the past few months to a year has been The Picture Bible. This is an amazing Bible book, in comic stip form, with realistic drawings and great historical summaries. I'd happened to see it recommended over at Heart Of Wisdom's site years ago, and didn't think much of it until I ran across it again at a Thrift Store for $1. So, I bought it, and it sat on a shelf for well over a year. Well, some time ago, N just got interested one day as he ran across it, picked it up and started reading it. He's now reading it through for the 3rd time! He relishes reading it! The other day as we were driving to the pet store jamming to his Mercy Me cd, I turned down the volume to mention that the lyrics to the song we were singing, "Who will go for me, Whom shall I send... Here am I Lord, send me..." was a quote from the book of Isaiah... to which Nathan very nonchalantly replied, "Yeah, I know, and then the angel put the coal to his lips." I was stunned. "Uhh, Yeah, that's right..." I said, "How'd you know that?!" (ie; afterall *I*/we didn't read that to you/teach you that yet? as if...) To which N matter of factly replied (with a slight "duh" tone detected) "I read it in my Bible Mom, where else?! I told you I read it two times already?!" So, um, yeah, I highly recommend that one, for visual-learning boys especially. And it's 9yo approved!

~ Another of his favorites for the past 3 yrs. has been Dangerous Journey; The Story of Pilgrim's Progress, by Eerdmans. We've read this together, and he likes to read it on his own. It's a great primer for children, before reading the unabridged version, which we're tackling together this year, as a read-aloud. It's Nathan's all-time favorite story, an allegory which he pulls from and refers to often.

Some of his other faves I find him immersed in regularly, or quoting back factoids to me from are; The Dinosaur Mystery and The Bible ~ Dinosaurs by Design ~ Life in the Great Ice Age ~ Usborne Book of World History, Usborne Time Traveler & Usborne Children's Encyclopedia ~ Bible Trivia Book ~ Creation mag.

Nathan's latest library search has been for "dragons", and his finds; Dragonology ~ Fire and Wings, Dragon Tales from East & West ~ The Book of Dragons, E. Nesbit ~
Also; Garfield books ~ Calvin & Hobbes Collection

His chapter book self-initiated reads have been; Magic Treehouse books ~ Jigsaw Jones mysteries ~ The Cooper Kids Adventure Series ~

Nathan's Book Studies for 2005-06 via LLATL (orange) are (we have yet to start these though *ahem*);

~The Boxcar Children
~ COFA Wilbur & Orville Wright
~ COFA Benjamin Franklin

Nathan's Required Reading Aloud to Me;

~The Lion, the Witch & The Wardrobe (I told him he's got to finish reading this to me before he's seeing the movie)
~ McGuffey's Second Reader, from which he absolutley relishes and begs for me to give him oral "spelling tests" from the 30+ spelling words listed with each reading, in spelling bee style.

Nathan's Independent AO2 & TQ Reads (Giving Narrations to Mom);

~The Travels of Marco Polo
~ The Americas in the Colonial Era

I'd signed N and T up for that Book-It program through Pizza Hut last year, so we've just started that too, so they're enjoying setting their reading goals and looking forward to meeting them and getting their own personal pan pizzas each month.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?