Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving Recipes~

Well, I just made these Chex Muddy Buddies tonight (a double batch of course!), and my crew went absolutely bonkers over them... They are DE-LIC-I-O-SSSO! I also made up a triple batch of the classic Chex mix, as found on the Chex cereal boxes. This was my first time ever making the infamous Chex mixes, and they are so YUMMY, great for snackin' over the next couple of days. I enjoyed listening to Tchaikovsky while I cooked, he was being featured on npr, which is what my kitchen radio is usually tuned to if I'm not listening to a cd. Chris played some board games with the kids; Mastermind (a great logic game) with T and N, and then they played Connect Four, an old favorite which they play tournament style.

A few of the dishes I'll be preparing tomorrow are family favorites, and the recipes are from my very Southern Grandma Chandler. I'll share her recipes with you here...

SWEET POTATO SUPREME
3 c. sweet potatoes, peeled and mashed
1/3 c. butter, melted
2 eggs beaten
2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together and put into a casserole dish.

TOPPING
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. flour
1/3 c. butter, melted
1 c. pecans, chopped

Mix topping and sprinkle over potato mixture (may add a few spoons of milk to moisten, and cinnamon on top of all). Bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees.


PECAN PIE
1 unbaked pie shell 9"
1 c. pecans, chopped
3 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. white Karo syrup
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 c. melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Line unbaked pie shell with pecans. Beat eggs, sugar, salt and karo syrup, vanillia and butter. Pour over pecans in pie shell. Bake 50 minutes in 350 degee oven, or until done.

CORNBREAD STUFFING
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. butter
2 c. diced celery
1.5 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. minced parsley (or just use a couple TBSPs dried)
2 tsp.. poultry seasoning (which I make using 3/4 tsp. sage, 1/4 tsp. leaf thyme, a dash of marjoram, dash of cloves and 1/4 tsp. pepper)
1/2 tsp. pepper
18 c. of your favorite cornbread, crumbled (bake this the day before)
3 eggs, beaten
Saute celery and onions in butter. Mix all ingredients (except broth) and put into a casserole dish. Pour broth over mixture. Bake 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?