Monday, June 13, 2005
The past few days...
Chris has been home alot lately, and he's a real drill sergeant, I tell ya!! LOL! Just kidding, really he's so good for me, and is really helping to keep me on track, doing alongside w/me what we need to be (alot of the remodeling and finish work) so as to have this place ready and presentable asap, as we've friends from FL coming up to visit us next wknd., and then Chris's Mom and Grandmother are flying up in two weeks also... and then my sister is also planning to visit the end of this month as well! YAY!
We finally got all the tile down on the floors in the bathroom and the kitchen, the day before the appraiser came. We're still waiting to hear the results of that. So, anyways Chris was able to get the new sink in the bathroom, and it's nice to have a br sink again (we've been months w/out a bathroom sink, I'm still by habit, going into the kitchen to brush my teeth now!:) But that's better than months without a *kitchen* sink-okay, maybe it wasn't that long, but it sure felt like it!, as was the case in our fist house's renovation *adventures*in FL years ago!)
Yesterday, I finished painting the wall above the mantle in the living room, and today I'll paint the hallway, since Chris has now finished the "mud work" on it. What an exhilerating feeling of accomplishment it is...how I do love HGTV, but I used to get so frustrated sitting around watching all those inspiring shows, ignoring the prodding of my own home's needs...now I AM HGTV, in action! LOL!
Also just this last wknd., Chris has gotten the back-splash tiles up in the kitchen, and a shelf above the stove, what a difference that's made!! Now we still have to grout them... I spent some time weeding our veggie garden yesterday, it's been raining alot here lately, so the weeds have been doing double-time I think! I also dug up a huge lot of peonie bushes' roots and am transplanting them all over our property...I love their flowers, and imagine my surprise when these bushes grew up this past Spring (we'd moved in here last Fall, so I'd not known yet we even had any!). But they were growing right where Chris had built his shelter for the mower and bikes and stuff, on the inside, up against the garage wall, so no one could see them at all! I feel like I've hit the jackpot, as I'd indulgently bought and planted myself a box of 10 *little* peonie roots from Sam's for just under $10 last Spring, and now, here I've a huge lot of them to plant all around for free!! I just had to smile to myself and God as I felt like I was digging up hidden treasure$$$! LOL!
Meanwhile, N and T have kept busy painting a little town of wooden buildings their Grandmother had given them years ago, which through all the moves have been neglected, and we just re-found as we were cleaning out/going through boxes of stuff from G-1 (the first garage of two here), decluttering. Indeed it does feel good! And so now, we've gotten that room all cleaned out, and it now has long pieces of trim lined up in there awaiting my paintbrush and can of semi-gloss.
As we were going through all that stuff in there, Chris found and cleaned up the old backgammon game we have, which had belonged to his now deceased Grandfather, who was very near and dear to Chris, as a Father to him...so it has a lot of sentimental value. Chris has been teaching N and T how to play (while I blogged), and yesterday N & T played eachother a few rounds, on their own. N wanted us to play Sorry the other night, but I had already planned on baking (actually, had planned on it for a couple of days at the point, and so could put it off no longer, lest the very thawed butter turn rancid!)...so I said "sorry", does that count?, but he didn't think that was too funny! LOL!
*sighs* But of course, no matter how much I get done, and feel I've accomplished, the laundry monster is always still sitting there, gloating over all I've left yet to do! It certainly does not wait around for the other stuff to get done before showing itself either, does it? I'm doing much better keeping up with it though lately, now that I'm folding it right as it comes out of the dryer (I know, revelation!!;) ...so now instead of a wild, jumbled mess of piles of wrinkled clothing, I've more docile, domesticated baskets of *folded* laundry patiently waiting to be put away, but the kids are getting pretty good at dealing w/job!:)
I've been thrilled lately to *daily* hear N excitedly exclaim over what his latest find is from his own self-initiated reading...being a bookworm myself, this is so exciting to me. Yesterday he was mesmerized by an article in the Creation mag. he'd picked up and started reading...he also read some from his DK book about Joan of Arc, and another chapter from The Dragon's Throat, by Peretti. Not having cable is awesome, b/c now instead of flipping on the boob tube, he picks up a book, or mag. and is discovering the worlds therein, without my even having to suggest it. T read Bedtime for Frances to N and I last night.
T's been very inspired by one of my alabaster carvings from my college years (I was a Fine Arts major, minoring in sculpture), and found an old soap stone I had started carving years ago, and she's now claimed it as her own and is packing it around (wrapped carefully in a towel-my newest, nicest one of course!), attempting to carve her ferrets' shape from it... I warned her that with her little whittling knife, it's going to take alot of patience...we'll see if she sticks it out and even reaches the wet sanding stage.;)
Well, Chris had left me here readin' and typin' away, and taken the kids to the Tractor Supply store to get the ever-growing Samson another big 'ol bag of food, and they've since returned...so I'd better go now, lest I be found guilty of slackin', and neglectful of the innovative spirit which does so permeate our house right now...;)
We finally got all the tile down on the floors in the bathroom and the kitchen, the day before the appraiser came. We're still waiting to hear the results of that. So, anyways Chris was able to get the new sink in the bathroom, and it's nice to have a br sink again (we've been months w/out a bathroom sink, I'm still by habit, going into the kitchen to brush my teeth now!:) But that's better than months without a *kitchen* sink-okay, maybe it wasn't that long, but it sure felt like it!, as was the case in our fist house's renovation *adventures*in FL years ago!)
Yesterday, I finished painting the wall above the mantle in the living room, and today I'll paint the hallway, since Chris has now finished the "mud work" on it. What an exhilerating feeling of accomplishment it is...how I do love HGTV, but I used to get so frustrated sitting around watching all those inspiring shows, ignoring the prodding of my own home's needs...now I AM HGTV, in action! LOL!
Also just this last wknd., Chris has gotten the back-splash tiles up in the kitchen, and a shelf above the stove, what a difference that's made!! Now we still have to grout them... I spent some time weeding our veggie garden yesterday, it's been raining alot here lately, so the weeds have been doing double-time I think! I also dug up a huge lot of peonie bushes' roots and am transplanting them all over our property...I love their flowers, and imagine my surprise when these bushes grew up this past Spring (we'd moved in here last Fall, so I'd not known yet we even had any!). But they were growing right where Chris had built his shelter for the mower and bikes and stuff, on the inside, up against the garage wall, so no one could see them at all! I feel like I've hit the jackpot, as I'd indulgently bought and planted myself a box of 10 *little* peonie roots from Sam's for just under $10 last Spring, and now, here I've a huge lot of them to plant all around for free!! I just had to smile to myself and God as I felt like I was digging up hidden treasure$$$! LOL!
Meanwhile, N and T have kept busy painting a little town of wooden buildings their Grandmother had given them years ago, which through all the moves have been neglected, and we just re-found as we were cleaning out/going through boxes of stuff from G-1 (the first garage of two here), decluttering. Indeed it does feel good! And so now, we've gotten that room all cleaned out, and it now has long pieces of trim lined up in there awaiting my paintbrush and can of semi-gloss.
As we were going through all that stuff in there, Chris found and cleaned up the old backgammon game we have, which had belonged to his now deceased Grandfather, who was very near and dear to Chris, as a Father to him...so it has a lot of sentimental value. Chris has been teaching N and T how to play (while I blogged), and yesterday N & T played eachother a few rounds, on their own. N wanted us to play Sorry the other night, but I had already planned on baking (actually, had planned on it for a couple of days at the point, and so could put it off no longer, lest the very thawed butter turn rancid!)...so I said "sorry", does that count?, but he didn't think that was too funny! LOL!
*sighs* But of course, no matter how much I get done, and feel I've accomplished, the laundry monster is always still sitting there, gloating over all I've left yet to do! It certainly does not wait around for the other stuff to get done before showing itself either, does it? I'm doing much better keeping up with it though lately, now that I'm folding it right as it comes out of the dryer (I know, revelation!!;) ...so now instead of a wild, jumbled mess of piles of wrinkled clothing, I've more docile, domesticated baskets of *folded* laundry patiently waiting to be put away, but the kids are getting pretty good at dealing w/job!:)
I've been thrilled lately to *daily* hear N excitedly exclaim over what his latest find is from his own self-initiated reading...being a bookworm myself, this is so exciting to me. Yesterday he was mesmerized by an article in the Creation mag. he'd picked up and started reading...he also read some from his DK book about Joan of Arc, and another chapter from The Dragon's Throat, by Peretti. Not having cable is awesome, b/c now instead of flipping on the boob tube, he picks up a book, or mag. and is discovering the worlds therein, without my even having to suggest it. T read Bedtime for Frances to N and I last night.
T's been very inspired by one of my alabaster carvings from my college years (I was a Fine Arts major, minoring in sculpture), and found an old soap stone I had started carving years ago, and she's now claimed it as her own and is packing it around (wrapped carefully in a towel-my newest, nicest one of course!), attempting to carve her ferrets' shape from it... I warned her that with her little whittling knife, it's going to take alot of patience...we'll see if she sticks it out and even reaches the wet sanding stage.;)
Well, Chris had left me here readin' and typin' away, and taken the kids to the Tractor Supply store to get the ever-growing Samson another big 'ol bag of food, and they've since returned...so I'd better go now, lest I be found guilty of slackin', and neglectful of the innovative spirit which does so permeate our house right now...;)
|
|















