Saturday, July 09, 2005

London bridge is falling down...

I'm so grieved over the recent bombings in London... And the grief I felt as I read the headlines online (which besides NPR is how we get all our news, as we don't have t.v. except for videos) was magnified as my son came up behind me and read the headline of the article I was viewing over at wnd.
He of course asked what I was reading about, and when I told him what had happened he was quite concerned. In his naive, precious 9yo innocence he asked incredulously, "On purpose?! They put bombs there on purpose?!" Yes, on purpose my dear son, and in the background my 6yo daughter began singing "London bridge is falling down..." for that is her mental connection to London, and the pictures of the London Bridge in our recent Pocahontas read-aloud made quite an impression on her. What a sad, eerily awkward moment of realization it was for my kids and I, together. They've known of other terrorist attacks, and have a subscription to VOM's Link magazine...they're appropriately aware of worldly current events, but each one never ceases to stun them. And I'm thankful that they are not desensitized, may I stay so tender-hearted, and be as a child in this most blessed manner.
We are praying for all those whose lives were touched by this tragedy, which do include even us here in the States I think... It's reminded me of Madrid last year, and 9/11, of course. I'm reminded of the ongoing terrorist attacks and threats in Israel.., And then there's that looming dread of knowing that the times will not get better, but that things will only get worse in this world. God, however, is still sovereignly on the throne.

My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.
~Psalms 5:3

And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

~ Luke 21:28
Comments:
Thank you for the thoughts, very profound. Your children had the same reaction as mine. My 7 year old couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that some person would have done this on purpose. His main comment was "I just don't get it"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?