Monday, July 18, 2005
photos, blogs, & sickoes; to post a pic or not to post a pic...
I just wrote out a lengthy post on this topic at hand in blogosphere, which I proceeded to somehow lose when I tried to publish it!;( And I didn't even realize it hadn't posted until I'd already done some editing, and so cannot simply "recover post" it...*arrrghs & sighs* So here, I shall once again try and express my thoughts on this idea of whether or not we should be posting photos to blogs, and on the importance of not being naive about potential downfalls in doing so.
I'm not one to believe much in coincidences, so I found it interesting last night, that shortly after I'd posted my last batch of photos to our photo blog, and was musing over some ongoing misgivings I've had in doing so, but have shrugged off as mere paranoia... I stumbled upon David W. Bole's Urban Semiotic post, “take your children offline NOW”, on this very topic. What uncanny timing for me, as I've been wrestling with these very thoughts! I have so much respect for Mr.Boles' gumption in his even broaching such an "icky" topic... and though I don't agree with everything he suggests, I am so thankful to him for bringing this issue up, and getting people to think about it, as it's such an important issue to consider. Honestly, I've thought of it before, and have had many of these same thoughts, but have put off *doing* what I've had in mind to do for too long, which is editing out our kids' names from our blogs. And I feel that the Lord has used his post as a catalyst for more action on my part, and more decided caution...
I was naturally filled with such a feeling of guilt, fear and foreboding immediately after reading Mr. Boles' post. I asked my hubby what he thought about it all... Should I delete our photo blog? *sniff, sniff* To which he level-headedly reminded me not to be hasty, that it's settings are "private", thereby limiting it's traffic availability somewhat... and also he reminded me that our name is not listed in any public phonebooks either, and we've only ever used our kids' first names, and we are careful not to give out our locale... So, I was calmed, but still creeped out about all these disturbing thoughts. I'm now glad that I didn't reactively delete our photo blog last night, as I had a mind to do then...thanks Chris for your calming words. I was still uneasy though with the situation when I went to sleep last night...and did even end up having a bad dream in which a disturbing scenario was played out, concerning these very thoughts...
So, as I woke up this morning with it still very much on my mind, I went right back to reading the comments left at Mr.Boles' site. I was so glad to also run across Razorskiss's thoughts on the topic. I think she brings some invaluably level-headed perspective to the table for this discussion, on what is safe, and what's not on the internet. She's verbalized some more of my own thoughts I've had as well as I've wrestled with WHAT to do? And so, I'm finding some clarity here now, I think(?). And I've resolved what I'm going to do...for now.;)
We're going to keep our photo blog, but I'm removing our kids' first names even, which will involve some extensive editing on my part, but is worth the peace of mind I think... just as a precaution. I'd rather err on the side of safety. And the kids enjoyed picking out nicknames for our blogs. Our 9yo son will hereby be called "Durer", after his favorite artist. And our 6yo daughter, who loves all things Indian, has chosen to be called "Pocahontas", which means, the one who plays mostly, appropriate, I think...;) Also, I've realized that though our last name is not in our email address, is is listed there (as part of my hubby's full name)in the "to" line if someone were to click on "email me". So, I'm going into our mail set-up area of our computer, and changing that too...now that I've noticed it.
Also, it's sorta sad to me to have to be using nicknames for my kids now, but I do want to be careful. So, do you think I'm over-reacting? Maybe so, but truly, as a blogging friend said to me yesterday, as we discussed this idea, we all do "need to examine and look at our own blogging practices."
So, I don't mean to put any of you on the spot, just curious what your thoughts are is all.
I see the discussion continues in blogosphere, with many absolutely doing away with photos altogether. I don't want to do that though, we've too many friends and family that enjoy ours...
It's sad that we even have to be so careful, but it's truly a sadly fallen world we live in, and prudence is in order...I'm glad to be "getting my virtual house in order...", though it may take awhile for me to edit out all the name references.;) It's not just myself, or my kids, I'm protectively thinking of...it's also the example of vigilance that I'm hoping to set for other bloggers, as I've admittedly been apprehensive over the looseness I've had, and seen others have, in publishing family affairs on the world wide web... So, here's to food for thought, and raising the bar a bit on my end.
Comments:
<< Home
Still considering my view on this issue. I have yet to decide where to draw the line. I am glad you are figuring where you stand, you have given me something to think about.
If we were on the phone we could have a good conversation about this, or better yet in the backyard drinking tea! So this is really just me blethering because I'm awaiting my time to head back to VBS. I completely understand this man's plea, but I found myself wondering if it's reasonable. I mean these sickos can pick up any ad in the Sunday paper and do what he shared. Or any catalog with children's clothing. If the writer believes our children's pics shouldn't be online, then maybe
his children shouldn't be out in public either (if his children attend school they may be the object of someone's fantasy so unless we are at the point of locking our children in the basement until they are adults we will deal with this sad problem. And even as adults they could be the object of someone's sick fantasies).
Sadly, some young girls have been taken right from their homes by people who saw them in their own yards (Shasta was spotted in her swimsuit in her own yard. I think she was either in a sprinkler or a small pool. The little girl Jessica was playing in her grandparent's yard when the sicko across the street saw her and started to check her front door until one night he saw her father leave and took the chance and sure enough the door was unlocked. Another little girl in California was carried out while her parents ate pizza in the back family room and killed by a guy four houses away. With Amy Smart it was a worker on their home who literally climbed their roof and cut their screen window. I have nightmares about this stuff and it's
disturbing my sleep to think that someone could be watching my home in
the hopes of taking my sweet girls away).
Because our Supreme Court ruled that child porn is legal as long as it's
digital and as long as we have sites that post this horrendous stuff they don't need our children's pics to have a fantasy with.
Did you see the news a few months ago when they finally went public with a picture of a little girl they said was being molested? They actually had pictures of her in
various hotel rooms with men doing horrible things to her. The part that made me want to vomit is that her picture was the most viewed child porn online. They found her in a foster home. Thank God her step-father, who was forcing her to do this, was arrested on a different crime and the state took her. As much as I grumble about child services using their authority to abuse people this is one case where it worked out well for the girl.
The truth is I am literally fearful to take my girls out in public,
shopping, or even in church I don't feel safe. Did you read about the
Baptist pastor whose daughter was kidnapped and tied up in the church
basement for three weeks? They kept hearing tapping and finally he let
her go to the potty and she left a note in the upstairs bathroom and
someone found it and the police almost missed her he had her hid so well. It was the church janitor.
When my older son was younger and went camping with Royal Rangers a detective called me and said the other boy in the tent had been molested that weekend).
Post a Comment
his children shouldn't be out in public either (if his children attend school they may be the object of someone's fantasy so unless we are at the point of locking our children in the basement until they are adults we will deal with this sad problem. And even as adults they could be the object of someone's sick fantasies).
Sadly, some young girls have been taken right from their homes by people who saw them in their own yards (Shasta was spotted in her swimsuit in her own yard. I think she was either in a sprinkler or a small pool. The little girl Jessica was playing in her grandparent's yard when the sicko across the street saw her and started to check her front door until one night he saw her father leave and took the chance and sure enough the door was unlocked. Another little girl in California was carried out while her parents ate pizza in the back family room and killed by a guy four houses away. With Amy Smart it was a worker on their home who literally climbed their roof and cut their screen window. I have nightmares about this stuff and it's
disturbing my sleep to think that someone could be watching my home in
the hopes of taking my sweet girls away).
Because our Supreme Court ruled that child porn is legal as long as it's
digital and as long as we have sites that post this horrendous stuff they don't need our children's pics to have a fantasy with.
Did you see the news a few months ago when they finally went public with a picture of a little girl they said was being molested? They actually had pictures of her in
various hotel rooms with men doing horrible things to her. The part that made me want to vomit is that her picture was the most viewed child porn online. They found her in a foster home. Thank God her step-father, who was forcing her to do this, was arrested on a different crime and the state took her. As much as I grumble about child services using their authority to abuse people this is one case where it worked out well for the girl.
The truth is I am literally fearful to take my girls out in public,
shopping, or even in church I don't feel safe. Did you read about the
Baptist pastor whose daughter was kidnapped and tied up in the church
basement for three weeks? They kept hearing tapping and finally he let
her go to the potty and she left a note in the upstairs bathroom and
someone found it and the police almost missed her he had her hid so well. It was the church janitor.
When my older son was younger and went camping with Royal Rangers a detective called me and said the other boy in the tent had been molested that weekend).
<< Home
|
|
















