Friday, November 11, 2005

Reunion Update~

Well, I had a great birthday yesterday, made myself a carrot cake with lemony cream cheese frosting (both from scratch) ...mmmm.mmmmmm..mmmmmm..... Chris picked up his Dad at the airport, and then we all went out to dinner at a favorite restaraunt, The Texas Roadhouse.

Our visit with Jack has been great thus far. He wept when he saw our kids, as he bent down on one knee to hug Tabitha. *sighs* He and Chris have been getting along SO well, cutting up alot, even walking with their arms over eachother's shoulders earlier today (as we left the Chinese buffet where we had lunch), and they/we have been talking ALOT. It's been a bit surreal.

I made stuffed salmon (okay, okay, all I had to do was pop it in the oven - that fresh salmon with seafood stuffing from Sam's Club is *amazing*!) and salad for dinner tonight. Jack said he doesn't remember the last time he's sat down to a homecooked meal, at a table (apparently he really does live on tv dinners ). We even broke out the bubbly... sparkling grape juice that is... I think Jack was waiting for the real stuff though. LOL! He asked N and T if this pretend wine was getting them ready for the real stuff? N just laughed and said "Naaahh, but it tastes real to me" (he'd a taste of burgundy wine at a Christmas party a couple of years ago - just a sip!). Anyways, Jack's going to cook dinner tomorrow night, his specialty - "Green chile casserole". It has steak in it, and tortillas and cheese, so it must be good (I LOVE Mexican - it's my fave)!

When we went to Wally world for some of his favorite things, and the casserole ingredients, he bought our kids TONS of junk food... Cookie Crisp cereal (which they've asked me for about 100x, and I always say "no way" but now they'll get to FINALLY try it - for dessert!) two giant bags of Reese's p-butter cups (um...oh yeah, I *er* have to take care of something...hold that thought, I'll be right back)... *ahem* Oh, yes, and *munch, melt, munch* Hershey's chocolate syrup AND strawberry syrup, stuff to make rice crispy treats (yummy!), and we now have *finger licking**smack, munch, slurp* 4 different kinds of ice-cream in the big freezer, kettle corn popcorn, about 5 different kinds of soda pop, etc. etc. (yes, there's more). So, yes, it's definitely feeling like a party over here... a reunion party! Now there's even talk of needing to go and buy some movies tomorrow... I guess it makes him feel good to shower them with sugar...they're certainly happy about it! He seems to be falling quite naturally into this whole stereotypical spoiling Grandparent thingy. Anyhow, the kids are adoring him, enjoying having a new ear to tell all of their jokes to, and think he's absolutely hilarious. He's taken to Samson and our birdie quite well too.

We went walking (more like moseying in the falling leaves, brisk air and sunshine - lovely day!) today, down our road to an old cemetery founded in 1790, and then down to the creek and old spring house beyond the field behind our house. Tabitha was holding his hand practically the whole time.

Last night was "show and tell" time, with both N and T bringing out their notebooks, showing him all of their best copywork and drawings. He was so pleased and made such thoughtful comments throughout their exhibition.

The kids and I read 3 chapters from our Narnia book tonight before they went to sleep. Chris and Jack are in there watching "The Patriot" right now (one of Chris's fave movies, Jack has never seen)... And I'm umm, sitting here eating chocolate and talking to you (like the movie, but it's a bit too intense and depressing for me right now)...
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?