Friday, November 04, 2005
Heritage Days~
We are absolutely LOVING living here!! This place is just so RICH with LIVING HISTORY!! We recently attended the Rogersville Heritage Days. The highlight of the event for all of us was meeting and speaking with (or rather, mostly listening to) the men and women representing the 43rd Tennessee Infantry "Piney Boys"; Co. B, of the Southern Guards Battalion. They were purely inspiring, and we must have been there talking with and learning from them for nearly an hour long.
These people/Civil War Re-enactors we met were all part of one big, happy family (yes, literally). To our delight, we were the only people around at the time of our visit, and the man who spoke with us the most (the father of this family) took a special interest in sharing/teaching and demonstating the correct usage of various period weapons with Nathan and Tabitha.
As we listened, and got to talking more about history... this seasoned character, a Confederate Patriot (PASSIONATE, though humble, and down to earth) and Civil War history connosiuer extraordinaire, shared with us about how truly the War of the States was not over the issues of slavery, abolitionism and the Emancipation Proclamation so much as it was about states' rights, and individuals' sovereignty. We also learned that, contrary to what most people probably think, the last slave owners weren't southerners, or Confederates, but were actually prominent Northern Unionists! It was an interesting lesson, given by a fascinating character of a teacher.
As we conversated, he began to share of his strong faith in Jesus Christ, and of how this Civil War re-enacting and his family's literal "living history" has become a powerful ministry over the years. I think he said he has like 4 chaplains in his unit, who were in other areas at the time. We got to hear some awesome testimonies of men they have baptized in ponds and rivers (all in full regalia, of course - that must've been a sight!), one in particular whose life was radically turned around as he was delivered from alcoholism, and shared his own testimony with this gentleman over a year later, of how God had used their work to touch his life... VERY cool!
What I'll never forget is how this man's heart was so tender... As he shared with us of all the miracles he's seen the Lord do through their ministries, he stood there weeping before us... all dressed in his Civil War uniform, rugged and aged, full of life, with tears just flowing down his cheeks from the love he felt for his fellow men and our Redeeming God. I know it made an impression on our son and daughter, and I rejoiced within as I listened to this fellow disciple of Christ sharing his testimony with us... He had gained N's rapt attention with all the fascinating weaponry and discussion of war, and now was filling his spirit with a strong witness for the realities and power of God in his life personally. Thank you Lord... I was honored to meet him, his wife and children, which I shall now share photos of here... Tabitha and I took alot of photos, and I've tried to pick out the best ones to post here.
I know that I never got this kind of history lesson growing up... I'm just so thankful for all that our family is now learning together, as the Lord leads our days, and arranges lessons we could never "plan"... He is our School Master!

Yep, Nathan thought he had hit the Jackpot!!

On Guard!!


Nathan got a lesson in why these swords were actually, purposely made to be blunt during battle, so as to break limbs and only maim and render the enemy incapacitated during a battle, which would then require a couple more guys to get him to safety. If the swords were sharp, then they'd be "getting stuck in your opponent"... hmmm, interesting it was.


Nathan, looking good in Gray & Nathan, holding an authentic (not a reproduction) period "piece"... Our new found Civil War teacher called it "his baby".



And here, he's explaining how these guns worked, and loading gunpowder, as he carefully explains how it's done *properly* and safely (ie; proper finger placement)...

And Nathan got to FIRE it!! Unlike a .22, there was no kick-back. But it was certainly loud, and smelled of sulfur!

Another "piece"... how it works, and what it was for.

43rd Tennessee Infantry "Piney Boys"





Tabitha took some GREAT pics, here's a few of my favorites. This "tent" pic. has such great composition! It just draws you in, doen't it?

the Medical table (notice the old Bible)

And we got a lesson on the history various flags of the Confederacy... very interesting.

These people/Civil War Re-enactors we met were all part of one big, happy family (yes, literally). To our delight, we were the only people around at the time of our visit, and the man who spoke with us the most (the father of this family) took a special interest in sharing/teaching and demonstating the correct usage of various period weapons with Nathan and Tabitha.
As we listened, and got to talking more about history... this seasoned character, a Confederate Patriot (PASSIONATE, though humble, and down to earth) and Civil War history connosiuer extraordinaire, shared with us about how truly the War of the States was not over the issues of slavery, abolitionism and the Emancipation Proclamation so much as it was about states' rights, and individuals' sovereignty. We also learned that, contrary to what most people probably think, the last slave owners weren't southerners, or Confederates, but were actually prominent Northern Unionists! It was an interesting lesson, given by a fascinating character of a teacher.
As we conversated, he began to share of his strong faith in Jesus Christ, and of how this Civil War re-enacting and his family's literal "living history" has become a powerful ministry over the years. I think he said he has like 4 chaplains in his unit, who were in other areas at the time. We got to hear some awesome testimonies of men they have baptized in ponds and rivers (all in full regalia, of course - that must've been a sight!), one in particular whose life was radically turned around as he was delivered from alcoholism, and shared his own testimony with this gentleman over a year later, of how God had used their work to touch his life... VERY cool!
What I'll never forget is how this man's heart was so tender... As he shared with us of all the miracles he's seen the Lord do through their ministries, he stood there weeping before us... all dressed in his Civil War uniform, rugged and aged, full of life, with tears just flowing down his cheeks from the love he felt for his fellow men and our Redeeming God. I know it made an impression on our son and daughter, and I rejoiced within as I listened to this fellow disciple of Christ sharing his testimony with us... He had gained N's rapt attention with all the fascinating weaponry and discussion of war, and now was filling his spirit with a strong witness for the realities and power of God in his life personally. Thank you Lord... I was honored to meet him, his wife and children, which I shall now share photos of here... Tabitha and I took alot of photos, and I've tried to pick out the best ones to post here.
I know that I never got this kind of history lesson growing up... I'm just so thankful for all that our family is now learning together, as the Lord leads our days, and arranges lessons we could never "plan"... He is our School Master!

Yep, Nathan thought he had hit the Jackpot!!

On Guard!!


Nathan got a lesson in why these swords were actually, purposely made to be blunt during battle, so as to break limbs and only maim and render the enemy incapacitated during a battle, which would then require a couple more guys to get him to safety. If the swords were sharp, then they'd be "getting stuck in your opponent"... hmmm, interesting it was.


Nathan, looking good in Gray & Nathan, holding an authentic (not a reproduction) period "piece"... Our new found Civil War teacher called it "his baby".



And here, he's explaining how these guns worked, and loading gunpowder, as he carefully explains how it's done *properly* and safely (ie; proper finger placement)...

And Nathan got to FIRE it!! Unlike a .22, there was no kick-back. But it was certainly loud, and smelled of sulfur!

Another "piece"... how it works, and what it was for.

43rd Tennessee Infantry "Piney Boys"





Tabitha took some GREAT pics, here's a few of my favorites. This "tent" pic. has such great composition! It just draws you in, doen't it?

the Medical table (notice the old Bible)

And we got a lesson on the history various flags of the Confederacy... very interesting.

Comments:
<< Home
Very cool pics. I'd love to go to a re-enactment sometime.
Have you read the book The South Was Right? Very interesting and informative. It's true that the winning side gets to write the history, and they haven't given us the truth.
Post a Comment
Have you read the book The South Was Right? Very interesting and informative. It's true that the winning side gets to write the history, and they haven't given us the truth.
<< Home
|
|
















