Tuesday, April 26, 2005
reading, writing, tongue-twisters & slowing down
Today Nathan has been reading to me from Robert Louis Stenvenson's "A Child's Garden of Verses", and we both enjoyed it tremendously. His favorite so far is;
Happy Thought~
The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings.
He also did some copywork from his Aesop Fables book, picking out his fav. morals. Tabitha chose some sentences from her book, "Black Beauty", to copy. Then she moved on to some informal drawing, and turned all the people in the junkmail ads (on the table next to her) into pirates, and was laughing ecstatically, as she apparently really cracked herself up over it. She's quite the cut-up. *smiles* I must admit, she'd done a rather good job of it, and they were pretty funny looking. We're about to leave for Tabitha's ballet/jazz class at church, and Nathan will memorize his verses for Awanas while we wait for her.
Yesterday, we saw a woodchuck (aka, groundhog) on the side of the road, and I commented to the kids to check him out. Well, ever since they've been chanting "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" (from one of their silly books, a collection of tongue-twisters) over and over yesterday....and today too. Aaaaaah, it's playing over and over in my head now.
On a more serious note, *ahem*, I got pulled over for speeding yesterday too, right before the groundhog incident. I was doing 4o in a 25 zone apparently, going down one of those winding country roads in Chris's big diesel truck, which goes so much faster than it *feels* like it's going. I was so thankful when the officer gave me a warning only (he says b/c of my "clean record"), he said that it would've cost me $160 for the speeding part, and another $160 for not having the registration in the truck w/me (well, believe me, it's there now!). Nathan said, "Oh yeah Mom, I saw it too, the signs(!) said 25 mph." I was completely oblivious, in la la land I guess, just merrily driving along home...who goes 25 mph down a country road in the middle of nowhere anyways? LOL, well, ...uh, me - now... ;)
Happy Thought~
The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings.
He also did some copywork from his Aesop Fables book, picking out his fav. morals. Tabitha chose some sentences from her book, "Black Beauty", to copy. Then she moved on to some informal drawing, and turned all the people in the junkmail ads (on the table next to her) into pirates, and was laughing ecstatically, as she apparently really cracked herself up over it. She's quite the cut-up. *smiles* I must admit, she'd done a rather good job of it, and they were pretty funny looking. We're about to leave for Tabitha's ballet/jazz class at church, and Nathan will memorize his verses for Awanas while we wait for her.
Yesterday, we saw a woodchuck (aka, groundhog) on the side of the road, and I commented to the kids to check him out. Well, ever since they've been chanting "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" (from one of their silly books, a collection of tongue-twisters) over and over yesterday....and today too. Aaaaaah, it's playing over and over in my head now.
On a more serious note, *ahem*, I got pulled over for speeding yesterday too, right before the groundhog incident. I was doing 4o in a 25 zone apparently, going down one of those winding country roads in Chris's big diesel truck, which goes so much faster than it *feels* like it's going. I was so thankful when the officer gave me a warning only (he says b/c of my "clean record"), he said that it would've cost me $160 for the speeding part, and another $160 for not having the registration in the truck w/me (well, believe me, it's there now!). Nathan said, "Oh yeah Mom, I saw it too, the signs(!) said 25 mph." I was completely oblivious, in la la land I guess, just merrily driving along home...who goes 25 mph down a country road in the middle of nowhere anyways? LOL, well, ...uh, me - now... ;)
|
|















