Tuesday, August 02, 2005

To the Boys

"God wants the boys, the merry, merry boys,
The noisy boys, the funny boys,
The thoughtless boys--
God wants the boys, with all their joys.
That he as gold may make them pure,
And teach them trials to endure:
His heroes brave
He'll have them be
Fighting for truth
And purity.
God wants the boys.
"

This poignant little poem is in the front of this gem of a book I found while digging through old books stashed in the back of a local antiques store last summer. I've recently just started reading it again... One of my hubby and I's favorite pastimes is to frequent these old shops and stores whenever we can, because you just never know what valuable treasures are buried there, patiently waiting for a discerning, appreciate eye to find them. I was thrilled to find this lovely old hardbound book... MOTHERS' COUNSEL to THEIR SONS, by Jennie C. Rutty.

It was published in 1899 by the Gospel Trumpet Publishing Company.
I figured it was definitely worth alot more than the few dollars I paid for it, but was still surprised to find it listed for almost $50 online, and apparently hard to find, at that even. I would never sell it though, as in reading it, I'm finding within its pages the wisdom of a priceless new friend. Ms. Rutty has also written Letters of Love & Counsel for our Daughters, published by the same.

"Why does society insist that boys must sow their wild oats? There is no legerdemain about life. There is no way to sow vice and reap virtue, any more than there is to sow tares and reap wheat.
" ~John B. DeMotte.

"If you expect virtue and purity from mothers, wives, sisters, and friends, so must they expect the same from you." Page 200.

Here's the table of Contents.;

MOTHERS AND SONS
MORALITY
HOME INFLUENCE
COMPANIONSHIP
JOYS AND SORROWS
HONOR, NOBLENESS, AND BEAUTY
EDUCATION
HABITS
THE TOBACCO HABIT
EXPERIENCE IN THE USE OF TOBACCO
INTEMPERANCE
SECRET SIN
AS OTHERS SEE IT
SOCIAL PURITY
COURTSHIP AND MARRIAGE
AMUSEMENTS
BUSINESS
RELIGION-TRUE AND FALSE
SALVATION IN JESUS
CONVICTION
REPENTANCE-CONVERSION
PURITY
BAPTISM OF THE HOLY GHOST
THE LIFE OF FAITH
THE CHURCH OF GOD
DIVINE HEALING
TIME AND ETERNITY

As you can see from these topics, it should be an interesting read indeed! As I skimmed through it last summer (we were in the middle of our move here to TN, and I had found it while we were waiting for our house to close), I remember being amused over some of the antiquated advice, like avoiding playing cards, lest you possibly become a gambler...yet the advice concerning gambling and its addictive nature, and many dangers is sound... *smiles* But, we do so enjoy playing cards around here! LOL! How fascinating to read this book though, and in so doing, to look through a window into an age long gone... and how delightful it will be to share this thoughtful counsel, brimming with insights with my son one day, as he strives toward manhood...

As I continue reading this lovely book which is so wrought with the ageless wisdom of over a century past, I will post nuggets as I have opportunity. And once I figure out how to do the whole categories thingy, I'll give it a category of its own to keep all these pages together... So, can anyone help me out with the categories thing? How does that work anyways? You can just email me, if you'd like. TIA
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?