Saturday, October 15, 2005
Recipes: Buttermilk Banana Bread & Chocolate Coconut Bars
Tonight is my "Crop till we Drop" Scrapbooking Mom's night out! YAY! And every time we get together, we of course always like to bring goodies! Last time I brought a loaf of my Buttermilk Banana Bread. I usually double the following recipe, and last time I used 1/2 non-bleached All-purpose flour, and covertly added in a 7-Grain Organic Flour blend for the other 1/2, which made the loaves come out a lot denser/heavier than when I use just plain AP flour. So, they didn't go over too well at home, weren't as "light, moist and tasty" as the loaves I usually make with the more "processed" flour, but they were a whole lot healthier, and went over great with my cropping friends!
BUTTERMILK BANANA BREAD
3 ripe bananas
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
4 tbsp. buttermilk
1 tsp. soda
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
1/8 tsp. salt
Cream butter and sugar in mixer. Add bananas and mix well. Add eggs and continue mixing. Add soda that has been dissolved in buttermilk. Add with flour and salt. Fold in nuts. Bake in 1 large or 2 small greased and floured loaf pans for 60 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
**********************************************************
Today, I'm making something to bring that's not quite so healthy! But they'll be YUMMY! I'm doubling the following recipe;
Chocolate Coconut Bars
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 squares (1 1/2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, melted
In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
Combine eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of electric mixer until thick and light lemon colored. Stir in flour and oil just until blended.
In a separate bowl, combine coconut and 1/2 cup of the batter; set aside. Stir chocolate into remaining batter. Pour chocolate mixture into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan. Dollop coconut mixture on top. Swirl coconut batter into the chocolate batter with a butter knife or narrow metal spatula. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack; cut into bars.
Makes about 16 coconut chocolate bars.
Update; That is a WONDERFUL recipe above! I received numerous compliments on my Chocolate Coconut Bars.
BUTTERMILK BANANA BREAD
3 ripe bananas
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
4 tbsp. buttermilk
1 tsp. soda
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1/2 c. walnuts, chopped
1/8 tsp. salt
Cream butter and sugar in mixer. Add bananas and mix well. Add eggs and continue mixing. Add soda that has been dissolved in buttermilk. Add with flour and salt. Fold in nuts. Bake in 1 large or 2 small greased and floured loaf pans for 60 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
**********************************************************
Today, I'm making something to bring that's not quite so healthy! But they'll be YUMMY! I'm doubling the following recipe;
Chocolate Coconut Bars
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 squares (1 1/2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, melted
In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
Combine eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of electric mixer until thick and light lemon colored. Stir in flour and oil just until blended.
In a separate bowl, combine coconut and 1/2 cup of the batter; set aside. Stir chocolate into remaining batter. Pour chocolate mixture into a greased and floured 8-inch square pan. Dollop coconut mixture on top. Swirl coconut batter into the chocolate batter with a butter knife or narrow metal spatula. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack; cut into bars.
Makes about 16 coconut chocolate bars.
Update; That is a WONDERFUL recipe above! I received numerous compliments on my Chocolate Coconut Bars.
|
|















