Sunday, February 05, 2006

quilting woes...

Last night, right after I'd just finished sewing all of my pinwheels squares and was trimphantly laying them out together I realized to my great horror that I'd accidentally pieced some in the wrong direction (like half of them!!), and so the pinwheels wouldn't all match up right: white (background) to pinwheel (color)/white to color... ARRRRGGGHHH!!! I couldn't believe it... and I quite calmly crossed over to the dark side of quilting. Oh, I was seething deep on the inside, and I'm certain that my eyes were glowing as I calmly put the defective pieces aside to work on this morning.

Yes, I had to de-thread every single one of those pinwheels, all the way down to the little squares and re-do them completely!! But... it's done now, JOY! And I'm about to go and sew my rows all together.:^) Darth Beth has now receded and the flowers are in bloom again! hehehehe
I'll post a picture of my quilt top soon, and share some more about how very therapeutic this whole project/process has been for me (besides the maddening part!)...
Comments:
Sewing is like that. A lot of ripping out our mistakes and fixing them. Kind of like life, huh? I'm glad we have a Father who does the fixing, but we have to let Him.
Love and shalom,
Serena
 
Ha, How great is that that it is Serena and I who are commenting on this?! Yes, sewing involves a lot of seam ripping. Don't be discouraged, Dear Heart, the ripping is therapeutic also and part of the process. Lord Bless, jenny
 
I haven't started yet, but I am going to be extra careful! I agree with Serena, about being glad to have a Father who does the fixing!
 
Also...wanted to ask you what you thought of the book in your sidebar...Our Father Abraham? I am looking for something for Christine and I to read together, is it something we could do that with, or is it a very difficult read?
 
You crack me up!! The Darth Beth thing is perfect. I have felt like Darth Sparrow before...hee hee!

I HATE the tearing out part!
 
Serena!
You are SO right on! I'd had the same thoughts even as I dismantled all of my *backwards* pieces. Thanks for pointing out the beautiful analogy. So, how's your quilt coming?

Hi Jenny!
okay, thanks for the encouragement...So... this is supposed to happen once or twice then? LOL! Very good then, I'll try and remember that next time I almost feel like giving up! Reminds me of when my dd got bucked off her pony and was told by her instructor's daughter "Not to worry, you've got to fall a few more times before you're proficient at it, which every good rider must be!" ;^)

Hi Adrienne!

Well, I would have been alright if I hadn't decided to get all creative mid-way through! I had half of my pinwheel squares done, and then during my break I'd hopped over to your cooley blog to see how yours was coming along, when I got all inspired by your pic of how you'd combined two of the fabric patterns to make one pinwheel...so I very stupidly proceeded to rearrange my nice neat (correctly) placed little piles of squares into NEW piles (forgetting about the design needing to match those I'd already sewn)...thus, lesson learned is *to self* "keep it simple stupid" LOL! aaaaahhh... *memories* in melodramatic tune...

Um, about that book...it's awesome! And I honestly can't say about your dd, but you ought to get it and read it yourself anyways... just amazingly eye opening! Here's the link to where I bought it from HOW, along with the study guide (e-book) to go along;
http://homeschool-books.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16663&cat=0&page=1
But after each chapter in the book, there are plenty of discussion questions listed already as well.

Robin recommends it to go along with the Adam to Abraham unit, for highschoolers' studies. It's pretty *thick*, but if you chew with her, and she's interested, then it might be great! (I'm not sure how old she is?)
Another one you might like to consider, which is a bit simpler, but would give her a great OT background and Hebraic understanding of SO many aspects of our faith, including covenantal, would be The Miracle of the Scarlet Thread, by Booker. Maybe start with that one, and then get Our Father Abraham... but they're both wonderful, and eventual MUST READS, imho!;^)
 
Hi Sparrow!
I didn't like it either, not one little bit! So, I sat and watched the boob tube with the kids while I did it... it helped, a little.
 
Thanks Beth for the link to where you bought the book, a study guide would be PERFECT! All the help I can get is a good thing. It really looks fascinating!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?