Saturday, March 11, 2006

well...


And as Chris would say... "That's a mighty deep subject..."

Our big dinner plans didn't go exactly as planned last night afterall... Chris unfortunately ended up working later than expected, and didn't get home until after 9:00 pm. He felt horrible about it, but I had no hard feelings of course, since I realize he had no way of knowing the job would take longer than he'd expected. Actually we're glad for the work!

So, I was all dressed up, sharing asian stir-fry with the kiddos. We took this pic of us to commemorate the evening. I tucked them in, and shared a special couple of hours with Chris when he got home. He apologetically explained about all of the plans he'd had to surprise me, and how working late had messed them all up. I was just glad to finally have him home. He was absolutely exhausted, and had to turn around and get up at 6:30 am this morning for another long day of work. He just called me to let me know he had finished his job and was starting for home (has a 2 hr. drive), which will put him getting home after 8 pm tonight.

Last night, the kids and I decided to wait until next week to light the candles of Shabbat for the first time, as a family (with Daddy). But we did read some more about the fascinating Jewish customs of Shabbat and their Messianic symbolism (click those highlighted words for more info.) from our Biblical Holidays book.

My challah loaves were disappointing to say the least. They just didn't rise very much at all. I didn't proof my yeast since it's brand new, and had kept it in the freezer until I used it. Could it's being still cold when I used it in my recipe (even though I'd put it in warm water) have kept it from activating properly? I'll certainly be sure and proof my yeast next time...arrrgh!;) Aaaah well, there's always next week... I'm now so especially glad that Chris and I had that lovely day date the day before our anniversary.
Comments:
What a gorgeous picture!

I keep my yeast in the frig, not the freezer. I just got a new bread machine, but the loaves have been pretty uneven coming out of there also. Haven't tried any challah loaves yet. I keep wanting everything perfect. Thank you for keeping a good attitude because I realize it is never going to happen the way I want it to. I'm just going to have to do it.
 
Yeah, I moved my yeast to the fridge too now, and I'll be sure and let it get to room temp. before I use it too.

For starters, our Sabbath celebrations will be quite simple. I'm sure that we'll go all out sometimes too. But like you said, the main thing is just to DO it, it certainly won't, and thankfully *needn't* be perfect. LOL

The kids so enjoyed just "getting ready" for it, the yard and house all clean, setting up. We were all disappointed when Daddy couldn't make it, but look forward to trying again next week.;)
 
Your so good at keeping a good attitude in spite of setbacks. :)
 
Hi Joelle~
Well, I try anyways. Unfortunately, I've had my share of scary attitudes too. *yikes* But after so many setbacks... one gets used to them, ya know? *smiles*

Hi Adrienne~

Yes, I know the story, by Chaim Potok. It's been on my reading wishlist for some time! As a matter of fact, I think I'll order it now from paperback swap. Thanks for the reminder.

I saw the movie years ago...laughed, cried and laughed some more. Very moving, and of course, since the book is always better...I'm on it!;-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?