Saturday, October 15, 2005

Our History Reads this week~



The Discovery of the Americas : From Prehistory Through the Age of Columbus (The American Story)
by Betsy Maestro, Giulio Maestro

I've been reading this aloud to Nathan and Tabitha, per recommendation of our TruthQuest American History for Young Students I (exploration-1800) guide.

I also read from the The Viking Tales. As I discussed our readings with Nathan, I was pleasantly surprised to find him quite familiar with the Viking culture, Eric the Red and Leif, his son, from his own independent reading (of his own accord! ) of his Usborne's The Viking World. VERY cool!

Next week we're going to start the d'Aulaire's Leif the Lucky. We've so enjoyed reading Pocahontas! Those books are absolute treasures!

And the kids have been quite amused by Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories.

Nathan has especially enjoyed the poetry of Walter de la Mare.

For our read-aloud time, we like to bring all of our books into my room, and get all comfy on our big king sized bed, with books, coloring books, sketch pads and colored pencils spread out around us. And there we camp out for a couple of hours at a time usually. This week, N and T colored in the Vikings Color book, and one of their Native Americans coloring books, both by Bellerophon. Bellerophon's coloring books are amazingly realistic and detailed, FULL of interesting info., they're history and books within themselves.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?