Sunday, October 16, 2005

Beautiful Thoughts on Yom Kippur ~

Below, I've pasted an excerpt from a lovely study my friend, Jenny, shared recently concerning the Day of Atonement ~ Yom Kippur (yes, I know that it's passed already for this year, BUT truly in our Lord, who is our Sabbath, and our Atonement, we REST in these understandings every day;

Incidentally, the first use of the word “atonement” (kippur) in the bible is in Genesis 6:14 when God tells Noah to build an ark and “cover” (kaphar) it with “pitch” (kopher). In Hebrew these words are all from the same root word. So on the Day of Atonement we who put our trust in Jesus find ourselves safe, covered in the atoning blood of the Lamb.

It [is] a Sabbath of rest to you, and ye have humbled yourselves [and testified and sang and shout and announced the good news of salvation in Jesus!] in the ninth of the month at even; from evening till evening ye do keep your Sabbath.' Leviticus 23:26-32

Literally in Hebrew “keep the Sabbath” is “rest in your rest”. Hebrews 4:11 tells us “let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest . . .” This season is to be a time of remembering the sacrifice of Jesus (Yeshua), looking back to Passover (Pesach) and the Lamb of God who by His sacrifice takes away the sin of the world. We are to put our trust in Him alone, not anything we can do, and to testify of His great love! Those who trust in Him enter into rest."


Hebrews 3:18
"And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient? " We show that we trust in Him by our obedience.

************************************
Go read the rest of her thoughts on this here; Let us Celebrat the Feast
The book of Hebrews is one of my faves... and I think this study so eloquently follows the Spirit in which it was written. Thanks Jenny!
Comments:
It's so beautiful how it all points to our Messiah. I hope my husband starts to study up on the feasts. I'd like to do them but we'd really both need to be on board.
 
Hi Joelle~
Yes, it absolutely amazes me how intricately interwoven are the Scriptures, and His Messianic fulfillment of them. Beautiful indeed! My learning about the feasts flowed from my own personal Bible studies, and then as I began to share with Chris what I was learning he also became very interested. And he's now quite enthusiastic about our celebrating them together as a family. But I'm still the one who has mostly studied it all out, and then I'm always sharing my findings with him. So, though we're both "on board" (as I TOTALLY agree, that is necessary to celebrate them) I mainly "study" them.:-) Might I suggest that you just start reading and prayerfully considering them in your own Bible time. As you know, it's fascinating, and even if you're not literally celebrating them ON the day of, you will find yourself entering more and more into His rest as you begin to more deeply understand their truths, and will thereby inevitably be celebrate them in your spirit, in His Spirit...
We don't celebrate them ALL each year, but I do purpose to study them more each year, and He always enriches my soul during these times. We've so enjoyed celebrating them as a family, amidst much fanfare sometimes, or simply prayerfully within quiet realizations of WHO HE IS...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?