Sunday, February 26, 2006
Menu/Meal Meme
1. How many meals does most of your family eat at home each week? How many are in your family?
We usually eat all of our meals at home each week, most of which I make from scratch, though I do have some quick fixes too (love the big bag of potatoe wedges w/rosemary, sea salt and olive oil from Sam's Club). Every now and then we'll splurge and go to Taco Bell, the Purple Cow (a local Mom & Pop's fast food joint that is de-lic-E-O-SO, fresh and cheap!) or we may do the Mon. night Papa John's special; 1 large, 2 topping pizza for $5.99. If we do eat out it's usually just 1x/1-2 wks.
2. How many cookbooks do you own?
About a dozen, and a couple of years' worth of Taste of Home mags. that my MIL gave me.
3. How often do you refer to a cookbook each week?
It varies week to week, but usually at least 1-2x/wk.
4. Do you collect recipes from other sources? If so, what are some of your favorite sources (relaties, friends, magazines, advertisements, packages, the internet, etc)
I like to try new recipes I find in mags., from friends, online, cookbooks, etc.
5. How do you store those recipes?
I have a manilla folder where I stash recipes I've printed offline, a "Recipes" bookmark in my Favorites file, and an index card file.
6. When you cook, do you follow the recipe pretty closely, or do you use recipes primarily to give you ideas?
Both.
7. Is there a particular ethnic style or flavor that predominates in your cooking? If so, what is it?
Hmmm... I like Mexican, and have some basic faves I cook that are Mexican/southwestern, N likes Italian, so I cook alot of that, and plenty of Southern dishes... Chris is a beef and potatoes kind of guy, so I accomodate that too. T likes things simple/plain, she'll often opt out of some meals for a p&j, though she's been more adventurous lately, even ate spaghetti *with* sauce last night, and her asparagus! LOL
8. What's your favorite kitchen task related to meal planning and preparation? (eating the finished product does not count)
I like cooking.
9. What's your least favorite part?
I don't like shopping.
10. Do you plan menus before you shop?
If I'm planning to try a new recipe. Otherwise I keep a pretty stocked pantry and big freezer, from which I can pull the stuff for our basic rotations (which usually aren't planned until the night before or morning of, just whatever I feel like throwing together).
11. What are your three favorite kitchen tools or appliances?
My Kitchen Aid mixer, garlic crusher/mincer, and my Wolfgang Puck stainless steel cookware set that Chris bought me a couple of years ago from Sam's.
12. If you could buy one new thing for your kitchen, money was no object, and space not an issue, what would you most like to have?
A milling attachment for my Champion Juicer... I recently started milling my own whole grains to bake with, and am lucky to have a friend who I see weekly (she's also my kids' riding instructor) who's offered for me to bring my grain to her house to mill each week, which is good, since we can't afford to buy our own yet.
13. Since money and space probably are objects, what are you most likely to buy next?
See #12.
14. Do you have a separate freezer for storage?
Yes, LOVE it! It's one of those things that once you have it, you wonder how you ever managed without it before!
15. Grocery shop alone or with others?
Sometimes Chris will buy groceries for me while he's out, or I'll go with the kids, or all of us together. Rarely I'll go alone, and it's nice... and usually takes me much longer since I just kinda meander all over the place, enjoying the aloneness...
16. How many meatless main dish meals do you fix in a week?
I guess this one just really varies. Most of our evening dinners have meat, unless we're doing a breakfast dinner of pancakes, cheesy grits and eggs... but that's a meat kinda... Alot of our lunches are dinner leftovers. So, I guess probably 1/3 are meatless.
17. If you have a decorating theme in your kitchen, what is it? Favorite kitchen colors?
Hmmm... I have a cast iron skillet collection, and wrought iron birds, antique stained glass window in my kitchen window. Colors are yellow, white and blue.
18. What's the first thing you ever learned to cook, and how old were you?
Biscuits and tomatoe gravy (family tradition, comfort food, Dad's fave) and I was probably 10 or so?
19. How did you learn to cook?
Hands on, with a little help from Mom and Dad, but mostly since I've been married from recipes, trial and error.
20. Tag two other people to play.
Randi
Sparrow
Comments:
<< Home
Hey, if you like Mexican, you could try this casserole:
Boil up some pasta (I use small shells) add taco seasoned ground beef or ground turkey, corn, and diced tomatoes (and any seasonings you might want). Stir in sour cream until everything is evenly coated, then bake. Sprinkle chedder cheese on top and melt in the oven.
It's an easy recipe to play around with, and you don't have to be very exacting with the proportions. So far, most of the people I've tried it on have liked it. =)
Boil up some pasta (I use small shells) add taco seasoned ground beef or ground turkey, corn, and diced tomatoes (and any seasonings you might want). Stir in sour cream until everything is evenly coated, then bake. Sprinkle chedder cheese on top and melt in the oven.
It's an easy recipe to play around with, and you don't have to be very exacting with the proportions. So far, most of the people I've tried it on have liked it. =)
Thanks Arielle,
That sounds yummy, I'll have to try it this week! My son loves pasta dishes, dh loves smothering everything with sour cream, sounds like a winner.
Post a Comment
That sounds yummy, I'll have to try it this week! My son loves pasta dishes, dh loves smothering everything with sour cream, sounds like a winner.
<< Home
|
|


















