Saturday, October 22, 2005
Recent Find~
A couple of weekends ago I was enjoying one of my favorite pass-times, casually brousing a huge antiques store (one of those with multiple sellers' booths throughout) in Franklin, NC with Chris, our kids, and my in-laws, who were enjoying their annual Fall vacation from FL.
I, OF COURSE, was drawn to a large shelf of books, and - I admit - quite unexpectantly scanning the shelves for familiar or intrigueing titles and authors. THEN, I saw it!
And I got that RUSH!
that treasure hunters get when they discover a long sought after piece... I held my breath as I searched for the price tag, and then did literally let out a little gasp when I saw the price, and yelped "yippee" to myself as I did a little victory dance, book in hand.
And my dear Chris - who tolerates my bibliophilic obsession so well - just knowingly rolled his eyes
as Ralph and his Mom asked, "What'd she find?!" "Aaah, just another book..." "You know it! But this is not just *any* book" I exclaimed as he, totally unable to appreciate the weight of my moment, continued to brouse, mumbling something like "it never is" under his breath.
"And?" I thought...
Well, for those who care (as I fully realize that some just haven't the capacity to understand), I found an old hardback copy of A Child's Geography of the World, by V.M. Hillyer, first published in 1929, and my copy is copyrighted 1951 by Appleton-Century-Crofts, Inc. I've had this book on my wishlist (which is VERY long) for YEARS! And it's in the most excellent condition, and was only $3! What a steal!
I found a schedule where it's broken down into 36 weekly readings here, at Ambleside. Think I'll just add it into our reading schedule now.
I'm excited to read it!
*sighs* Waiting for, and then getting a good deal on a treasure of a book...what a gift, nothing like it! Happy Hunting fellow bibliovores!
I, OF COURSE, was drawn to a large shelf of books, and - I admit - quite unexpectantly scanning the shelves for familiar or intrigueing titles and authors. THEN, I saw it!
And I got that RUSH!
that treasure hunters get when they discover a long sought after piece... I held my breath as I searched for the price tag, and then did literally let out a little gasp when I saw the price, and yelped "yippee" to myself as I did a little victory dance, book in hand.
And my dear Chris - who tolerates my bibliophilic obsession so well - just knowingly rolled his eyes
as Ralph and his Mom asked, "What'd she find?!" "Aaah, just another book..." "You know it! But this is not just *any* book" I exclaimed as he, totally unable to appreciate the weight of my moment, continued to brouse, mumbling something like "it never is" under his breath.
"And?" I thought...Well, for those who care (as I fully realize that some just haven't the capacity to understand), I found an old hardback copy of A Child's Geography of the World, by V.M. Hillyer, first published in 1929, and my copy is copyrighted 1951 by Appleton-Century-Crofts, Inc. I've had this book on my wishlist (which is VERY long) for YEARS! And it's in the most excellent condition, and was only $3! What a steal!
I found a schedule where it's broken down into 36 weekly readings here, at Ambleside. Think I'll just add it into our reading schedule now.
I'm excited to read it!*sighs* Waiting for, and then getting a good deal on a treasure of a book...what a gift, nothing like it! Happy Hunting fellow bibliovores!
Comments:
<< Home
There's nothing like the feeling you get when you discover another written treasure you've really been wanting. I found a copy of the Enchanted Forest chronicles 4-in-1 hard back addition at a thriftstore for 46 cents once. I think I did a little dance, myself!
Post a Comment
<< Home
|
|
















