Monday, February 27, 2006
more reality blogging...
Well, I believe that I'd left you in the bathroom last, didn't I? Yes, I'd invited you in, promised you this revealingly REAL tour of my house, and then rushed right off to the barn to play with ponies and my kids... before we'd even finished with all of my fun pictures. So, I'm back now, as promised.
And here's a last look at our lovely, mid-renovation one and only bathroom. Chris put this whole shower in, and only recently put the tiles up around it, and did the drywall mudwork on the ceiling part. You can see where he has yet to trim/frame it out to blend with the rest of the wall. But this is major (recent) progress, compared to how it's been for the past year!
And this below is our vestibule, which I recently finished painting a lighter cream/latte color. As you can see, our front door still needs its white trim put up, and crown moulding too... and I didn't get a shot of the little window in there, which is currently covered in plastic right now, awaiting it's new glass! For that matter, the inside of most of our windows are covered in plastic, to help with insulating (can't wait 'till we get those new ones in... but feel sorry for Chris b/c the old ones, all of which he has to remove, are set in metal frames! Yeah, so he'll have to get out his welder to get them out... it'll take like a whole day -at least- for each window, YIKES!)
However, this (below) is the entrance we use, which leads into this, our breezeway, which has lovely french doors at the other (unseen) end. Here's some of our doors, all lined up, having just received their fresh white paint job... Yes, Chris did all the drywall work you see there on the walls, this is my fave room in the whole house, and will be sage green eventually, with lots of plants.
The breezeway leads into... the kitchen... where we've done LOTS of work already, including tiled floors (throughout most of the house) new kitchen cabinets and appliances.
And, as you can see... my countertops are a bit cluttered, and it seems that there's always dirty dishes in the sink. Notice the tile backsplash still needs to be finished, and that job is awaiting new windows as well before it can be completed.
Now, we'll go into the living room (passing the dining/computer room for now, no pics, will have to get to it later)...
Uggh! The first thing you see is Chris's chronicly messy, makeshift office/desk (and the yet unpainted/trimmed door into the newly painted vestibule)! Oh well... at least there's room for his desk here. And in the forefront there is our ferrets' cage (yes, we have two lovable varmints; Toby and Snowbell)... they live right next to Baby, our green cheeked conure, until it warms up again. Then their cages go back out to the breezeway.
Yeah, I know, we really need to get those floorboards on! hehehe How do ya like the size of that litter box, connected there to the ferret's cage? Niiiice...
Yes, my kids just finished eating in front of the boob tube here, they're watching Matlock, a fave show of ours. You see, our dining room table is usually covered with writing, math or art projects, books, notebooks and mail, puzzles, etc... you know, stuff... So, we often end up here in the living room eating, with or without the tv/video on. It works for us - for now... Though I do plan/hope to have our Sabbath meal formally at the other table each week, with all the trimmings. But, it's comfy and cozy huddling around this gargantuous coffee table of ours, on the couch and pillows... good times...
And, here's a broader shot, so you can see our lounging pooch, with all of his favorite mauled chew toys scattered around him... (Oh, and notice all of the bioncles strewn on the couch there, and the jackets tossed on the pillows, and blankets, sheesh!) Yes, our dog is pathetic, loves to chew, ALOT. But at least he usually keeps to chewing his stuff. Now, if only we could get him to pick them up and put them back in his basket, like a good boy!
And here's a shot that shows our useless fireplace...*sighs*... that's right, it needs "work" before it will work... Notice Samson's chair and ottoman covered with blankets, spoiled he is!
And, here's my recently turned 7yo dd's bedroom (which she rarely sleeps in). You can see here that she likes to spread everything out when she's weaving...
And *ahem*, please remember that we had the party here just over a week ago, and it was snowing outside... therefore, 18 kids were in the house, in the bedrooms... playing, with toys! And we just haven't made amends yet... *smiles*

Let's get a close-up shot of that dresser... hmmmm... needs work.
Can we say too much stuff??? Oh, but they're treasures... each with a story, ya know?
And, I think that will be all for now... Hello? Anybody still here? ... hello... LOL
And here's a last look at our lovely, mid-renovation one and only bathroom. Chris put this whole shower in, and only recently put the tiles up around it, and did the drywall mudwork on the ceiling part. You can see where he has yet to trim/frame it out to blend with the rest of the wall. But this is major (recent) progress, compared to how it's been for the past year!
And this below is our vestibule, which I recently finished painting a lighter cream/latte color. As you can see, our front door still needs its white trim put up, and crown moulding too... and I didn't get a shot of the little window in there, which is currently covered in plastic right now, awaiting it's new glass! For that matter, the inside of most of our windows are covered in plastic, to help with insulating (can't wait 'till we get those new ones in... but feel sorry for Chris b/c the old ones, all of which he has to remove, are set in metal frames! Yeah, so he'll have to get out his welder to get them out... it'll take like a whole day -at least- for each window, YIKES!)
However, this (below) is the entrance we use, which leads into this, our breezeway, which has lovely french doors at the other (unseen) end. Here's some of our doors, all lined up, having just received their fresh white paint job... Yes, Chris did all the drywall work you see there on the walls, this is my fave room in the whole house, and will be sage green eventually, with lots of plants.
The breezeway leads into... the kitchen... where we've done LOTS of work already, including tiled floors (throughout most of the house) new kitchen cabinets and appliances.
And, as you can see... my countertops are a bit cluttered, and it seems that there's always dirty dishes in the sink. Notice the tile backsplash still needs to be finished, and that job is awaiting new windows as well before it can be completed.
Now, we'll go into the living room (passing the dining/computer room for now, no pics, will have to get to it later)...
Uggh! The first thing you see is Chris's chronicly messy, makeshift office/desk (and the yet unpainted/trimmed door into the newly painted vestibule)! Oh well... at least there's room for his desk here. And in the forefront there is our ferrets' cage (yes, we have two lovable varmints; Toby and Snowbell)... they live right next to Baby, our green cheeked conure, until it warms up again. Then their cages go back out to the breezeway.
Yeah, I know, we really need to get those floorboards on! hehehe How do ya like the size of that litter box, connected there to the ferret's cage? Niiiice...Yes, my kids just finished eating in front of the boob tube here, they're watching Matlock, a fave show of ours. You see, our dining room table is usually covered with writing, math or art projects, books, notebooks and mail, puzzles, etc... you know, stuff... So, we often end up here in the living room eating, with or without the tv/video on. It works for us - for now... Though I do plan/hope to have our Sabbath meal formally at the other table each week, with all the trimmings. But, it's comfy and cozy huddling around this gargantuous coffee table of ours, on the couch and pillows... good times...
And, here's a broader shot, so you can see our lounging pooch, with all of his favorite mauled chew toys scattered around him... (Oh, and notice all of the bioncles strewn on the couch there, and the jackets tossed on the pillows, and blankets, sheesh!) Yes, our dog is pathetic, loves to chew, ALOT. But at least he usually keeps to chewing his stuff. Now, if only we could get him to pick them up and put them back in his basket, like a good boy!
And here's a shot that shows our useless fireplace...*sighs*... that's right, it needs "work" before it will work... Notice Samson's chair and ottoman covered with blankets, spoiled he is!
And, here's my recently turned 7yo dd's bedroom (which she rarely sleeps in). You can see here that she likes to spread everything out when she's weaving...
And *ahem*, please remember that we had the party here just over a week ago, and it was snowing outside... therefore, 18 kids were in the house, in the bedrooms... playing, with toys! And we just haven't made amends yet... *smiles*
Let's get a close-up shot of that dresser... hmmmm... needs work.Can we say too much stuff??? Oh, but they're treasures... each with a story, ya know?
And, I think that will be all for now... Hello? Anybody still here? ... hello... LOLMaybe for our next reality blogging episode I'll show you the master suite/scrapbooking/library/quilting/dressing room... or our utility/storage/pantry room, or G1 and G2, our garages turned Chris's workshop/storage rooms... or maybe we'll take a looky around outside... Who knows? But one thing is for sure, this place is a work in progress, as am I. And it's H-O-M-E, for now...
Comments:
<< Home
Thanks for your boldness in sharing your life with us! I feel so much better now. While I'm not remodeling (we are currently renting) I am in the throws of rearranging everything to try to fit another baby in!
We are going to put a shower in our bathroom....do I really want to do that? I love how your bathroom will eventually look. Our fireplace has only a lightbulb that you turn on even when it is fixed.
I finally had to stop looking at Country Living magazines a long time ago because they made me discontent with my own house. Just remember that you have people there 24/7 and that is what is important.
I finally had to stop looking at Country Living magazines a long time ago because they made me discontent with my own house. Just remember that you have people there 24/7 and that is what is important.
I Love it! Finally someone's "real life" home. btw- your children's rooms look just like my dd's. It is nice to know I am not alone in the bedroom saga ;-). Some days we see her bedroom floor and other times we wonder if there ever was one (LOL). One great thing about homeschooling (among many I might add . . . ) is that we live in a very "real" house with "real" people. Where there are "real" people there is usually a real mess somewhere (LOL). Thank you being so transparent Beth - so refreshing!
Also, the architecture of your home is beautiful. I love it! What year was it built? I also love the victorian theme in your dd's room.
Thank's for sharing.
<>< Kelly
Also, the architecture of your home is beautiful. I love it! What year was it built? I also love the victorian theme in your dd's room.
Thank's for sharing.
<>< Kelly
Hey, I've also seen that house looking real nice, but still lived in. I don't think any of us live in "house beautiful" or if we do, then there isn't any living going on in that house. I sure do have my piles, much to the patient consternation of my husband (who every so often will take them and hide them somewhere for me to find. lol! My perspective, not his, I'm sure!) Since I don't have a digital cameral, I just cannot reveal the mess my children's room is in or the one on my bed I made today but will have to be cleaned off by bedtime so we can sleep there, or the piled counters in the kitchen or the basket of laundry needing folded in the livingroom. Hey, we live here!
I do have to say at 50, that I'm doing better with it than I did at 25 and even at 40. But then, I would have to say that I have a cleany husband who will just clean it up instead of complaining, too.
Love and shalom,
Serena
I do have to say at 50, that I'm doing better with it than I did at 25 and even at 40. But then, I would have to say that I have a cleany husband who will just clean it up instead of complaining, too.
Love and shalom,
Serena
Yahoo!!!! It looks like our house!!!! Except for the birds LOL!!!
Your kitchen actually DOES look a lot like ours - my son thought it was a picture of ours LOL.
Your kitchen actually DOES look a lot like ours - my son thought it was a picture of ours LOL.
We are in the middle of doing 'stuff' to our house. We just finished painting the inside. Then we ripped up the carpet in the three bedrooms and put down laminate flooring. We still have some tile flooring to be put in by the back door, and in the laundry room. We will also be getting new carpeting in the rest of the house. Whew!!! It was the massive painting project that nearly did me in!
Thanks for the tour of your home, keep up the good work!
Have fun!
Kathy
Thanks for the tour of your home, keep up the good work!
Have fun!
Kathy
I love that suit of armor on the dresser!
The house we rented, before we bought the house we live in now, had a fireplace that didn't work. I never knew a fireplacde could be out of order! But I guess they can be hazards?
The house we rented, before we bought the house we live in now, had a fireplace that didn't work. I never knew a fireplacde could be out of order! But I guess they can be hazards?
Loved looking at your lovely pictures! Finally a house that looks like a home! I got some good remodeling ideas from you too! Our 20+ year old house could use some updating!
You're terrific! Brave soul. You are not getting anymore ugly pictures out of me for a long time! :)
Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks so much for sharing.
Hi Birdie~
I'm so glad that my mess has made yours more endurable!*grin* How I'd love to be rearranging for a new baby! What a blessing indeed, worth any amount of messiness, FOR SURE!!:)
Hi Jenny~
You're right, about having our kids home and being able to spend time with them. Yes, it makes for messiness, but it's SO worth it ALL! And I don't mind the ongoing renovation projects much anymore. After living with them for 7+ years, one acclimates, and even enjoys the evolutions witnessed, keeps life exciting! LOL I still love looking at the mags and home-improvement shows, for ideas and inspiration!
Hi Kelly~
You're so welcome, and thank you as well! This house was built in 1950. And wouldn't you know it? I got T's room looking all quaint and beautiful (you should see it clean!hehehe) and she wants it rustic, horsey, earthy! arrrggh!
Thanks for sharing Serena~
You're right, nothing like having company over to motivate one to clean house, and straighten!
Hey Keer!
How funny!!
Hi islandsparrow~
Welcome, so glad to have you stop in. Yes indeed, REAL life -imperfect-
homes... it's a goood thing!
Hi Kathy~
How exciting! Thanks, and I'm glad to *meet* you.:)
Hi Leslie~
Yeah, that suit of armour is an old radio, a favorite treasure of N's...I forget where he got it? though I'm sure he could remind me.
If we stay in this house, the fireplace will either get fixed or house a woodstove? But since we may sell the place once we're done, we're not ready to sink the $ into it right now. It's sealed up right now, and would need vents of some sort to actually use.
Thanks Tina, and you're welcome!
Aaaaa, shucks Sparrow, thanks...hehehe. You started it, you're terrific! Though I do think that my ugly pics were uglier than yours!! LOL
'twas my pleasure to share!
I'm so glad that my mess has made yours more endurable!*grin* How I'd love to be rearranging for a new baby! What a blessing indeed, worth any amount of messiness, FOR SURE!!:)
Hi Jenny~
You're right, about having our kids home and being able to spend time with them. Yes, it makes for messiness, but it's SO worth it ALL! And I don't mind the ongoing renovation projects much anymore. After living with them for 7+ years, one acclimates, and even enjoys the evolutions witnessed, keeps life exciting! LOL I still love looking at the mags and home-improvement shows, for ideas and inspiration!
Hi Kelly~
You're so welcome, and thank you as well! This house was built in 1950. And wouldn't you know it? I got T's room looking all quaint and beautiful (you should see it clean!hehehe) and she wants it rustic, horsey, earthy! arrrggh!
Thanks for sharing Serena~
You're right, nothing like having company over to motivate one to clean house, and straighten!
Hey Keer!
How funny!!
Hi islandsparrow~
Welcome, so glad to have you stop in. Yes indeed, REAL life -imperfect-
homes... it's a goood thing!
Hi Kathy~
How exciting! Thanks, and I'm glad to *meet* you.:)
Hi Leslie~
Yeah, that suit of armour is an old radio, a favorite treasure of N's...I forget where he got it? though I'm sure he could remind me.
If we stay in this house, the fireplace will either get fixed or house a woodstove? But since we may sell the place once we're done, we're not ready to sink the $ into it right now. It's sealed up right now, and would need vents of some sort to actually use.
Thanks Tina, and you're welcome!
Aaaaa, shucks Sparrow, thanks...hehehe. You started it, you're terrific! Though I do think that my ugly pics were uglier than yours!! LOL
'twas my pleasure to share!
I love your house, Beth. I really love your kitchen, and the yellow walls. It's so cheerful and homey. :0)
Post a Comment
<< Home
|
|


















